Release Management - Stage Acceptance Multiple user approval RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When deploying to production, we need at least 2 users to approve a build before it can be released into production. It seems that Release Management only allows you to select one user or a group of users to be the approver, but when the first person approves, the release would be accepted and the deployment step will then be executed.

The persons selected for the  Approval Step at the end is a bit ambiguous since this only happens after the build has been deployed and already validated. I actually don't see the point of this, because if you reject it at this point, no rollback would happen; that is besides the point for now however.

How do I get the two people we require to approve the build to actually approve it before in goes into production?

Thanks,

MS

Thursday, June 4, 2015 1:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Two ways I can think of:

1. Keep sending the deployment phase mail to one person. Add a step in your deployment workflow a manual intervention, that will send a mail to the second person.

2.For more control or adding more logic, I will take the approval outside of RM. Create a custom tool and action that runs a powershell script that could potentially query an external approval system and only then do the real deployment. Make sure to add a rollback stage after it so it wont wait indefinitely for the external approval.

If you search few days ago for a post about how to schedule a deployment for specific date and time, there's some ways to do it and the original poster added a PS script example you can use.

Good luck,

Arie H.

Thursday, June 4, 2015 5:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Two ways I can think of:

1. Keep sending the deployment phase mail to one person. Add a step in your deployment workflow a manual intervention, that will send a mail to the second person.

2.For more control or adding more logic, I will take the approval outside of RM. Create a custom tool and action that runs a powershell script that could potentially query an external approval system and only then do the real deployment. Make sure to add a rollback stage after it so it wont wait indefinitely for the external approval.

If you search few days ago for a post about how to schedule a deployment for specific date and time, there's some ways to do it and the original poster added a PS script example you can use.

Good luck,

Arie H.

Thursday, June 4, 2015 5:12 PM
  • Hi MS,

Thanks for your post.

As far as I know there’s no default way to achieve that, you can try that suggestion which Arie H provided us.

For this scenario, please submit it to User Voice site at: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio. Microsoft engineers will evaluate it seriously.  

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, June 5, 2015 6:48 AM