Background transfer behavior : background host killed when foreground app killed RRS feed

• Question

• In Consumer Preview, if you waited until the foreground app got suspended and then killed it in task manager, you could see any background transfers associated with the app continuing in the task manager. Now with RP, if you kill a suspended app and then relaunch the app (all with no debugger involved) it appears that associated background transfers get cancelled automatically unless the app reattaches to the transfers. Is this change of behavior by design ? 
    • Edited by ykhammal Tuesday, June 5, 2012 8:35 PM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 8:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Checking this out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alejandro Campos Magencio - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
     If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

Thursday, June 7, 2012 3:12 PM
  • I've been told this is by design, and provided with this reference:

Being productive when your app is offscreen

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsappdev/archive/2012/05/16/being-productive-when-your-app-is-offscreen.aspx

"

If your app was terminated after being suspended, enumerating your download operations will restart previously queued background download operations.

"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alejandro Campos Magencio - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
     If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

Monday, June 11, 2012 3:52 PM
  • Thanks Alejandro, I'll go through the whole blog article. Strange thing is, with the CP the background transfers did not seem to get interrupted when the app was terminated, they apparently continued even if the app never reattached to them...
    Monday, June 11, 2012 7:05 PM