none
How to automate an Excel document and work on others excel documents at the same time? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

'm using a program to automate an excel document and in the meantime I would like to open others Excel documents and work on these (not automated).

When I open an document while my automation is running, the file I open is frozed and I can't access to it. I tried to set the visible property of my automation program to false, but if I modify an document it creates an exception.

Is it possible to automate an excel document and open and work others excel document at the same time?

Thank you in advance.

Thomas

Friday, May 17, 2013 9:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Quist Zhang

When I open an excel document while my automation is running, they share the same Excel process.   I found a solution by opening a new excel process and openning the document I want to use, with this new process.

Thank you for your help

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 3:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Thomiouf,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

As far as I know you can open workbooks while automating.

Could you please provide code that can reproduce your scenario? You can upload it to SkyDrive make it accessible and share the link. 

I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, May 20, 2013 8:55 AM
  • Hi Quist Zhang

When I open an excel document while my automation is running, they share the same Excel process.   I found a solution by opening a new excel process and openning the document I want to use, with this new process.

Thank you for your help

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 3:20 PM