The Identity and Access Tool is gonna drive me crazy!!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I'm using Windows 8 and VS2012. I've enabled Windows Identity Foundation feature and installed the WIF SDK 4.0, then I installed the Identity and Access Tool extension in VS2012 and restarted my Visual Studio. Sometimes an error occured promting the extension is not loaded correctly, and sometimes there's no error but when I right-click my MVC4 project, there's no Identity and Access shown in the option. I've unistalled and reinstalled the SDK and extension many times and it wasted almost my two days! It's a torture to me. Could anyone please help me out? Thanks!
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 3:18 AM

Answers

• Hi HuaYue,

I replied in the extensions forums; however let me address your question here as well.

In .NET 4.5 the WIF classes were integrated directly in the framework and spread across multiple assemblies. This brought to a much better integration of claims-based identity in .NET (every Principal derives from ClaimsPrincipal) but it also imposed breaking changes as classes from a single out of band assembly and namespace got distributed across the framework.

The Identity and Access tool generates WIF code targeting the new classes in .NET 4.5. It does not generate code for WIF1.0, which is what you'd need for projects targeting 4.0.

The WIF SDK for 4.0 has Visual Studio 2010 as a prerequisite and will not work with Visual Studio 2012, as the extensibility model of the two versions is incompatible.

If you are targeting 4.0 you can use fedutil.exe from the command line, or you can use a VS2010 instance SxS.

Thanks

V. 

Vittorio [MSFT]

Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

You can also submit this issue directly to the extension page from:

http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/e21bf653-dfe1-4d81-b3d3-795cb104066e 

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, January 11, 2013 12:24 AM
  • Well, thank you for your reply. I have already submitted a post to this exstension.

I think I know why the Identity and Access... option is not showing when I right clicked the MVC4 project. Because my project is targeting .net framework 4.0. While I created a project targeting .net framework 4.5, the option appeared. So my question now becomes: is there a way to use Identity and Access Tool for projects targeting .net framework older version? Or can FedUtil.exe work in VS2012?

Friday, January 11, 2013 1:48 AM
  • Hi HuaYue,

I replied in the extensions forums; however let me address your question here as well.

In .NET 4.5 the WIF classes were integrated directly in the framework and spread across multiple assemblies. This brought to a much better integration of claims-based identity in .NET (every Principal derives from ClaimsPrincipal) but it also imposed breaking changes as classes from a single out of band assembly and namespace got distributed across the framework.

The Identity and Access tool generates WIF code targeting the new classes in .NET 4.5. It does not generate code for WIF1.0, which is what you'd need for projects targeting 4.0.

The WIF SDK for 4.0 has Visual Studio 2010 as a prerequisite and will not work with Visual Studio 2012, as the extensibility model of the two versions is incompatible.

If you are targeting 4.0 you can use fedutil.exe from the command line, or you can use a VS2010 instance SxS.

Thanks

V. 

Vittorio [MSFT]

Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:44 PM