none
BizTalk Orchestration : WCF-WSHttp to WCF-NetTcp RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have bizTalk orchestrations published as WCF-WSHttp (I use the publishing wizard to do it). It is working fine.

The client is asking to change the binding to WCF-NetTcp, since it supposedly inproves performance.

Q1: Does WCF-NetTcp actually improve performance?

Q2: Can I have 2 receive locations in the same BizTalk application, one with WCF-WSHttp and other with WCF-NetTcp? This way , the client can try out both the bindings to see what works for them.

Any other insight useful in comparing the 2 will be helpful.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:06 PM

Answers

• A. Yes it's true, changing WS-NetTcp will improve performance.

B.Yes, it's possible to just create 2 receive locations one with WCF-WSHttp and other with WCF-NetTcp since it's the contract that translate to a message that goes to msgbox then to your orchestration that is important. But you need to create a new receive location + update the client to add/use the additional endpoint. Secondly, put in on the same Receive Port, if you are using the default wcf orch. publishing and not doing the Direct Req-Resp Binding.

The WCF binding types should be selected based on where and what client will access your webservice.

Fastest is NamedPipes, use this if the client is on the same host (machine).

Next is NetTcp, use this for internal network (same network)

Next is Basic, use this for access outside the network and you want to support legacy asmx client.

WSHttp is more secure but will take 9 back-forth server client communication just to complete 1 transaction.

Randy Aldrich Paulo

MCTS(BizTalk 2010/2006,WCF NET4.0), MCPD | My Blog

BizTalk Message Archiving - SQL and File
    Automating/Silent Installation of BizTalk Deployment Framework using Powershell >
    Sending IDOCs using SSIS

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:30 PM
  • Hi,

You can also check the comparison available here. Any performance impacts are surely dependent on your specific requirement. You can always do both and take a performance snapshot as in resposne time to get a metrics for your service. 

Regards,
    Bali
    MCTS: BizTalk Server 2010,BizTalk Server 2006 and WCF
    My Blog:dpsbali-biztalkweblog
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Mark As Answer or Vote As Helpful if this helps.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:57 AM

All replies

• A. Yes it's true, changing WS-NetTcp will improve performance.

B.Yes, it's possible to just create 2 receive locations one with WCF-WSHttp and other with WCF-NetTcp since it's the contract that translate to a message that goes to msgbox then to your orchestration that is important. But you need to create a new receive location + update the client to add/use the additional endpoint. Secondly, put in on the same Receive Port, if you are using the default wcf orch. publishing and not doing the Direct Req-Resp Binding.

The WCF binding types should be selected based on where and what client will access your webservice.

Fastest is NamedPipes, use this if the client is on the same host (machine).

Next is NetTcp, use this for internal network (same network)

Next is Basic, use this for access outside the network and you want to support legacy asmx client.

WSHttp is more secure but will take 9 back-forth server client communication just to complete 1 transaction.

Randy Aldrich Paulo

MCTS(BizTalk 2010/2006,WCF NET4.0), MCPD | My Blog

BizTalk Message Archiving - SQL and File
    Automating/Silent Installation of BizTalk Deployment Framework using Powershell >
    Sending IDOCs using SSIS

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:30 PM
  • Hi,

You can also check the comparison available here. Any performance impacts are surely dependent on your specific requirement. You can always do both and take a performance snapshot as in resposne time to get a metrics for your service. 

Regards,
    Bali
    MCTS: BizTalk Server 2010,BizTalk Server 2006 and WCF
    My Blog:dpsbali-biztalkweblog
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Mark As Answer or Vote As Helpful if this helps.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:57 AM