none
How to uninstall developer apps in .NET Framework programs? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a home PC user with Windows XP, SP2.  I plan to install SP3 shortly, so I'm trying to spruce up the hard drive.  I believe I have all of the final .NET framework versions installed: 1; 1.1; 2; 2.0 SP2; 3.0 SP2; & 3.5 SP1.

Based on my research, I should probably keep them. But I also have many unnecessary components that seem to be intended for use by developers-- I'm referring to ASP.NET; PreXP; CLR; CA; CRT; WinForms; multiple forms of WF and WPF; and WCF.  Most of these say that they cannot be removed via "Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs."  And they appear to have been installed as part of Framework 2.0, SP2 and 3.0, SP2.

Any way to get rid of them?  By the way, when I click the item in "Add/Remove" it shows a link to Microsoft for more info, and it has what appears to be a registry entry.   Can I use that somehow?
    Thanks!
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 2:32 AM

Answers

• Hello,

As I can see from your description, do you mean the applications developed with WF, WPF, etc. are not able to be uninstall or WF, WPF, etc. itself. If it is the latter case, it is not necessary to uninstall them as they are truly the components of related .net framework.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    • Marked as answer by justhuman Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:42 PM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 8:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you list the Developer Apps that you want to remove from system?

regards,
    Jai
    Monday, November 2, 2009 6:56 AM
  • Hello,

As I can see from your description, do you mean the applications developed with WF, WPF, etc. are not able to be uninstall or WF, WPF, etc. itself. If it is the latter case, it is not necessary to uninstall them as they are truly the components of related .net framework.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by justhuman Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:42 PM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 8:56 AM
  • Beneath the program entry ".NET Framework 2.0, SP2" the Control Panel shows these: 
    ASP.NET;  PreXP;  CLR;  CA;  CRT;  and WinForms. 

Beneath the entry ".NET Framework 3.0, SP2"  the Control Panel shows these: WPF2.32;  WCS;  WF_32; WPF_Other; WPF_1;  WF;  XPS;  WPF2;  WPF_Other_32; and WCF.

Because they are indented like updates are for any given program, I thought perhaps they were optional components that I included in my downloads by mistake.  For example, "Windows Presentation Foundation" sounds vaguely like a PowerPoint program-- at least it did to me.

Based on my research. Iunderstand that multiple .NET Framework programs are used by different applications that may or may not actually be found on my PC.  I have not created any applications using this software.  But the items I listed above seem be be designed for people who do create their own applications so I wondered if I could remove them even though the Control Panel itself says it cannot uninstall them individually. 

Another reader replied after you did and he indicates that the items I asked about are an integral part of .NET Framework programs themselves and I should ignore them.   So I will.  Thanks for your reply.

P.S.  In the course of examining all this, I noticed that I lack Framework 3.0, SP1  (I do have SP2.)  Do I need to get the first Service Pack for .NET 3.0?
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:32 PM

• Hi,
    Thanks for your reply.  Just to clarify, there are no applications that I've created using the .Net Framework software.  Because those strange little entries are indented in the "Add/Remove Programs" list-- like updates are for any given program--  I thought perhaps they were optional components that I included in my downloads by mistake.  For example, "Windows Presentation Foundation" sounds vaguely like a PowerPoint program-- at least it did to me.

My research indicates that multiple .NET Framework programs are used by different applications that may or may not actually be found on my PC.   But the items I listed in my query seem to be designed for people who do create their own applications so I wondered if I could remove them even though the Control Panel itself says it cannot uninstall them individually. 

If I understand you correctly, those items are an integral part of .NET Framework programs themselves and I should ignore them.   So I will. 

P.S.  In the course of examining all this, I noticed that I lack Framework 3.0, SP1  (I do have SP2.)  Do I need to get the first Service Pack for .NET 3.0?

Thanks again!
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:40 PM
  • Hello,

Yes, these items are an integral part of .net framework and you should ignore them. In addition, as I know, you do not need to install SP1 now that you have owned SP2.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 4:17 AM