none
frustrating "The entity model designer is unable to display the file you requested" ... RRS feed

• Question

• trying to work with VS 2012 professional, .NET 4.0 with EF 4.

I am coming from the java world, and with all the hype surrounding Visual studio and .NET, i must say i am extremely disappointed with what i got. Visual studio is inferior, by far, to Eclipse, the most basic open source java IDE there is... I have found out that all is talk about ease of use is well, not to say more, just talk. Visual studio is not just a monster memory and CPU hog, it is simply unusable...

Now that i let some steam out, i am having a frustrating time getting the EF visual designer to reopen my .edmx file after i modify and close it or refresh the model from the DB. sometimes my model would have some errors, like wrong or missing mappings, but so if i can't open it, how else can i fix them ? I mean i have a huge model that i am building and i really want to leverage the ease of use of VS, i honestly do!

does anyone know how this can be fixed once and for all. i would normally laugh at workarounds, but i am willing to compromise, please anything... 

• Moved by Amanda Zhu Wednesday, May 29, 2013 8:31 AM
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:05 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I have moved this thread to ADO.NET Entity Framework and LINQ to Entities forum for better response.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 8:32 AM
  • bump. am i the only one who has the problem?
    Friday, May 31, 2013 2:13 PM
  • Hi c.f.k,

What are the error messages when you tried to open the EDM designer? Do you get the issue sometimes or all the time?

Have you ever tried to edit the .edmx file manually?

Best regards,

Chester Hong
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 7:12 PM
  • Hello, no I don't get any errors. It only displays a screen saying it cannot open the file i requested. no further details. I can edit the file manually but what is the point of having a visual designer in this case?
    Thursday, June 6, 2013 1:31 PM
  • hello, thanks for the tip but i already came across it, it doesn't help. it's outrageous that we have to pay such a hefty amount of money for a "professional" license that does not work...
    Thursday, June 6, 2013 3:00 PM
  • On 6/6/2013 11:00 AM, c.f.k wrote:

hello, thanks for the tip but i already came across it, it doesn't help. it's outrageous that we have to pay such a hefty amount of money for a "professional" license that does not work...

Well you have other means to use EF like database first in addition to model first.

It took sometime for me to learn the model first approach and the what to do and what not to do. I built a few models from scratch, once I did something to not make it work. :)
     It is what it is.

Friday, June 7, 2013 12:14 AM