Early Access to Mango Bits for Phones RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft sent invites out to 5,000 of "the most eager" registered Windows Phone developers to downoad and install a beta of the upcoming Mango update for Windows Phones.  Check you inboxes to see if you've been selected.  Official blog post:

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/wpdev/

UPDATE:
    Apparently, they are sending invites to all registered devs today, but just in waves. I was initially under the impression that this would be other the next few weeks as the blog post implied, so I guess we shouldn't be too upset.
    See https://twitter.com/#!/cliffsimpkins/status/86089903611453440
    • Moved by Jim Perry Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:50 PM Migration data
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:34 PM

All replies

• Curious how they determined who is most eager. Didn't get one (maybe I'm not one of the first 5k or they haven't gone out yet).
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:36 PM
  • I think we are one of the "most eager" developers though we did not start yet to submit a lot of apps to the marketplace. (Wait for Mango)

How can we get the Mango Bits too?
    Is this limited to 5000 developers only??

Thanks
    Regards
    MyCONVENO Germany
    Michael Coelsch
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Apparently, they are sending invites to all registered devs today, but just in waves.  I was initially under the impression that this would be other the next few weeks as the blog post implied, so I guess we shouldn't be too upset.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:49 PM
  • No where in the blog post does it say 5000.

BrandonWatson Brandon Watson 
    @ 
    @weemundo @cliffsimpkins any registered developer will have access to Mango.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:49 PM
  • Curious how they determined who is most eager. Didn't get one (maybe I'm not one of the first 5k or they haven't gone out yet).

timing in the mail batch, I guess. @dereklakin says ""Invites should be out to all registered app hub developers within a few hours", I got my email before i even saw anything about it pop up on Twitter
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Is it true that you cannot update your phone from this Mango Beta to the final version this fall?

I heard that you will have to restore your phone to an earlier backup (that is created when you install the Mango Beta) in order to update to the final version of Mango.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:52 PM
  • No where in the blog post does it say 5000.

That bit was from here:
    https://twitter.com/#!/cliffsimpkins/status/86088662370091008
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:53 PM
  • Apparently everyone will get the invite. It just takes a few hours for all the mails to go out.
    http://twitter.com/#!/cliffsimpkins/status/86089903611453440
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:08 PM
  • so how do i get mango update on my phone? I dont understand? Thanks Do I ait for mail in the link or do I downlaoed the the mango beta tools?
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Is it true that you cannot update your phone from this Mango Beta to the final version this fall?

I heard that you will have to restore your phone to an earlier backup (that is created when you install the Mango Beta) in order to update to the final version of Mango.
    looks like thats what it says in the document, you'll have to restore the backup in order to upgrade
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:21 PM
  • You will need to go ahead and install the tools, but won't be able to install the Mango ROM until you get an email link. I am waiting for mine as well, but I am installing the tools now.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Must the tools be installed, because I use Visual Studio / Expression in german and the update is only available in english.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:36 PM
  • So this update won't be available to developers outside the listed countries??? Guess I won't be renewing.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:47 PM
  • This is awesome!
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:34 PM
  • So to clarify, I will have a Mango Invite to the Connect site by the end of the day (June 29), but the timing of the waves of emails is the only thing holding people back?
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:41 PM
  • Are there lots of developers who are still waiting for their update email? I'm starting to feel left out in the cold :(
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:48 PM
  • Same here, still waiting.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Eager Beaver over here!! I'm still hoping the second beta fixed the gesture auto release issues. and i've been dying to test it out on a real device instead of the emulator so yes please, the sooner the better :)
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:59 PM
  • Same here still waiting for the e-mail :/.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:14 PM
  • Are there lots of developers who are still waiting for their update email? I'm starting to feel left out in the cold :(

I think so. I haven't received the email yet either.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:15 PM
  • No email for me either... Yet!
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:18 PM
  • ... anybody here who already RECEIVED the Mango bits?
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:20 PM
  • I have received & installed them. On my Verizon HTC Trophy no less - pleasantly surprised as this is arguably THE *** child of the whole winphone lineup (in the US anyway)

The one thing (annoyance) I have is nowhere in the installation materials for it did it say you'd have to re-run the dev unlock.

All my side-loaded apps were greeted with "MS has revoked this app from the marketplace, please uninstall" when i ran them, then *poof* gone. Since the dev unlock tool doesn't work behind an authenticated proxy, i'm stuck w/ a locked phone until i can get somewhere that i can install all this crap again and re-unlock my phone.

If this is a developer preview, and we all already have app hub accounts, why do i have to re unlock my device! annoying.
    So just keep this in mind when you're going through your upgrade.

anyway, mango rocks so far :)
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:31 PM
  • i'm still waiting for my invite too.

Looking forwards to it, nice to see MS looking after their developers.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:37 PM
  • Do Premium members get Mango first?

Looking at the posts here it seems so.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:39 PM
  • I just talked to Cliff Simpkins, a product manager for Windows Phone. He's one of the guys handling the rollout. Anyway, he informed me that 20,500 of the 45,000 developers have received the invite email so far. They were at 11,000 about four hours ago, so it sounds like the process could take a while.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:41 PM
  • I have been waiting invitation for few hours. Hope I can get it by today (I am in NZ)
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:53 PM
  • My invite has just arrived, woot.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:33 PM
  • ... got my invitation right now!!! :-)
    ... will be a long night :-)
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:38 PM
  • My invite has just arrived, woot.

Mine too! I'm downloading and installing it now. :)
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:39 PM
  • Here also. Currently installing :)
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:19 PM
  • Mind sending the .exe along to see if we can update ours?
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:44 PM
  • The one thing (annoyance) I have is nowhere in the installation materials for it did it say you'd have to re-run the dev unlock.

It is mentioned in the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Beta 2 (7.2) Release Notes:

"Deploying and Debugging:
    Updating a developer-unlocked device to Windows Phone OS 7.1 may cause the device to become relocked. To resolve this issue, use the developer unlock tool to unlock the device again."
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:04 PM
  • bit depressed that still waiting for mine (despite me being quite an important xblig dev and having released 3 wp7 apps) but people who signed up for apphub TODAY have had theirs for ages.

I know patience is a virtue, but I WANT MY TOYS!
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:01 AM
  • Hi All,

Please check out the Mango Update forum discussions too. The invites are staggered and not necessarily by priority so don't feel bad if you are still waiting.

Thanks,
    Ben
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:02 AM
  • are they still being sent? Ive kinda resigned myself to the fact ive probably used a dead email or something equally annoying.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:20 AM
  • are they still being sent? Ive kinda resigned myself to the fact ive probably used a dead email or something equally annoying.

Yes, they're still sending them out. The team is done for the day, so the last 5,000 or so invites will be sent out tomorrow morning.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:29 AM
  • The one thing (annoyance) I have is nowhere in the installation materials for it did it say you'd have to re-run the dev unlock.

It is mentioned in the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Beta 2 (7.2) Release Notes:

"Deploying and Debugging:
    Updating a developer-unlocked device to Windows Phone OS 7.1 may cause the device to become relocked. To resolve this issue, use the developer unlock tool to unlock the device again."
    thanks for the headslap. i've since done exactly this. i think they should've put it in the install document tho, as that's what everybody's pretty well guaranteed to read.

Now if I could just get an answer to my Zune Compatibility question...
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:02 AM
  • Thanks for the early access guys!  Still haven't gotten my invite, but hopefully it'll show up in the next day or so.  Looking forward to giving Mango a test drive.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Has any Canadian received an invite yet? I had a developer account about a month ago but didn't register a device until yesterday, I desperately need a working mango on my device to build my concept app. Just checking if I wasn't left behind :)
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:34 PM
  • They're working through the invites in batches.  You'll get it soon enough.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:42 PM
  • I am a Canadian and I have not received my invite yet.  Cliff mentioned on his twitter something about getting to the Canadians today but it seemed to be related to students.  For what it is worth, I have had an app in the marketplace and a registered phone since November.

I wouldn't be surprised if the last 5,000 were all from Canada ;)
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:01 PM
  • I am in Germany and have registered just one day ago and I am still waiting. Excited to get it nevertheless
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:50 PM
  • Some more eligible devs in Canada were recently found, so hang on:
    https://twitter.com/#!/cliffsimpkins/status/86472100159819776
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:42 PM
  • Has any Canadian received an invite yet?

I've got mine, eh; about 10:00 this morning. 

I happened to be out at site this morning, so can't even install it until I get home later tonight.  The day is going to drag on forever...
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:50 PM
  • I'm in Austria - just got the newsletter where I found:

Invitations were sent out from Microsoft Connect to currently registered Windows Phone Marketplace developers. If you haven't received an invitation, be sure to check your junk mail filter. There are two important notes about the program to keep in mind; we are only supporting one device per developer, and we don't currently support all developer countries

I checked - but I found nothing...
    So I hope there will be more "email waves" sooner or later
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:05 PM
  • I'm in Canada and just got my invite around noon today, so they are going out. 
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:09 PM
  • California here... registered Dev, ID Verification cleared this morning and account was activated an hour later. Registered/Unlocked my HTC Arrive (Phone I'm willing to test on) just waiting on the invite now.

Gonna take lunch and hope for a later today notification. :-/
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:36 PM
  • Hi folks,

We finished up the first major wave of invites today - I sent invites to what I believe should be all registered devs in our supported countries (countries we don't have a history of customs issues getting phones into and out of). Once we see some good metrics from this first wave, we'll get out the second wave of invites, which will be to countries not in the supported list.

And, because I know this is going to be asked - invites were sent to folks who were current registered and vetted App Hub as of Monday morning. Folks who joined after that point will be sent out in weekly waves - first one will probably be late next week.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 12:21 AM
  • Cliff,

I'm afraid my spam protection might have eaten my invitation.  Any way to have it sent again?

Thanks!
    -Arian
    Friday, July 1, 2011 1:07 AM
  • Hi folks,

We finished up the first major wave of invites today - I sent invites to what I believe should be all registered devs in our supported countries (countries we don't have a history of customs issues getting phones into and out of). Once we see some good metrics from this first wave, we'll get out the second wave of invites, which will be to countries not in the supported list.

And, because I know this is going to be asked - invites were sent to folks who were current registered and vetted App Hub as of Monday morning. Folks who joined after that point will be sent out in weekly waves - first one will probably be late next week.

Nice work Cliff.
    Lots of happy developers out there right now :)
    I haven't got my invitation yet, but I am sure it will come soon. Looking forward to getting my finger tips hot from swiping my way around the new OS when I do get the invite.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 2:28 AM
  • I didn't get an invitation, even though I am registered developer in US (as of Monday morning). Should I just hope that miraculously my email will show with the second batch, even though I shouldn't be there?
    Friday, July 1, 2011 4:11 AM
  • Hi folks,

Hmmm,

I'm registered (Premium) Member since several Months; I'm from Austria (at the list of supported countries) and got NO mail till now.
    Did I miss something?

Manfred
    Friday, July 1, 2011 5:16 AM
  • Hello Cliff,

I recieved "June 2011: Windows Phone Marketplace Developer Newsletter‏" email yesterday saying i was going to get a invite but no invite yet, checked spam, Live in the UK, just released my 6th app yesterady so i would have thought i would have gotten one now 24 hours later. Anyway can i get the email resent or are they still sending them?

Andrew.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 12:58 PM
  • Cliff,

While I understand the process you are using to send invitations, there is an expectation that someone can register and update their phone to mango on the same day.   This is what it says on the apphub main page.   Once a week is much longer than today and way out of kilter with expectations being advertised.  Many of us that have registered in the last few days are hoping to spend the holiday weekend emersed in Mango. 

Thanks.

JohnMcG
    Friday, July 1, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Consider me happy!  I'm enjoying my fresh sweet Mango now!
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 1:01 AM
  • In the UK here been registered for months now and not received any email yet.
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 1:13 AM
  • I'm here in New Zealand (on supported list) been registered for months but nothing yet.

Great to see the updates rolling out but would be better if someone can tell us when invites will go so that we dont have to keep checking in. I know we are all FAR to impatient and all that but that's what you want from us right? ;)

Thanks in advance
    Monday, July 4, 2011 11:49 PM
  • Hi there,

I am in New Zealand and have been registered as student developer. I received the invitation on 30 June.
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 12:14 AM
  • Grrr OMG I want to cry now
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 1:45 AM
  • Have you upgraded? If so I just looked back and I have email about SDK release on June 30th did you get 2 emails or am I missing something really obvious?
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 1:47 AM
  • Have you upgraded? If so I just looked back and I have email about SDK release on June 30th did you get 2 emails or am I missing something really obvious?

Hi Polychrome. I got the SDK email as well, I think all devs did, but it's not the email we are wanting.
    You could try contacting Cliff Simpkins but I guarantee he will be getting flooded with emails from people wanting early access.
    I recommend just holding tight for a week or so more. Our turn will come!

DJ
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 1:58 AM
  • Hi DJ

Yes I agree and I can wait (honest I can) but as you see Su has had the upgrade here in NZ so I am just nervous that we will wait 2 weeks or more only to find that we are not on the right list
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 2:05 AM

Hi Polychrome. I got the SDK email as well, I think all devs did, but it's not the email we are wanting.
    You could try contacting Cliff Simpkins but I guarantee he will be getting flooded with emails from people wanting early access.
    I recommend just holding tight for a week or so more. Our turn will come!

DJ

Plus i did already tweet CLiff but no reply - fair enough I guess
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 2:06 AM
  • Hi DJ

Yes I agree and I can wait (honest I can) but as you see Su has had the upgrade here in NZ so I am just nervous that we will wait 2 weeks or more only to find that we are not on the right list

Totally understand what you mean. I'm in the same boat. I worry that the email may have been lost in cyberspace, or worse, I didn't make the list at all for some reason or another. But I am pretty sure our turn will come. I'm thinking of emailing Cliff at the end of next week if I haven't recieved an invite, but I think there are still quite a number who haven't, so I am not too worried.
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 2:16 AM

Hi, Have you checked Microsoft Connect account?

You should have this in you Conncet dashboard.
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 3:04 AM
  • Checked Connect - nothing there.
    So it seems some Austrians (at least me :)) have been forgotten.
    Austria was listed on the "first wave" - but I still got nothing :(

Checked Connect again - and found a "Pending Action" on the dashboard (I could swear it wasn't here a few minutes ago :)).
    Downloading now - and I'm happy.
    Support response was "wait fo weeks" - email eaten by spam filter I guess...

So over all I would rethink the distribution method - or provide at least a link to connect with instructions.
    So people (like me) who missed the email can check it out manually.

Manfred - downloadingmangobitsnow
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 4:41 AM

So its not in the Apphub?

I dont think I have a connect account unless they are the same thing
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:44 AM

Nah create connect account but dont have that option - not sure why I didnt get one when I signed up for apphub or why this isnt in the app hub since that's what we subscribed to and paid our money for. I assumed it would be under downloads there. Must be to stop only eligible people getting the download but now I dont know how long before the links will show up.

Is it just me or ar MS really poor at this sort of stuff?
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:53 AM

I think it should not be in the APP hub. You need login to Connect by using your live id, complete the Mango beta agreement and a small survey, then you can download update files from Connect web page.
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 6:46 AM

I think it should not be in the APP hub. You need login to Connect by using your live id, complete the Mango beta agreement and a small survey, then you can download update files from Connect web page.

Thanks but I have tried and the agreement and download are not there - yet (hopefully)
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 6:54 AM
  • You need the Invite first before you will see this on your Dashboard
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 11:52 AM
  • Got my email, thanks Cliff, Microsoft had wrong email address on their back end system, get the feeling this is an issue.
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:23 PM
  • I recieved my invite this morning. Good timing as I had little sleep so was in a foul mood, but it all changed when I saw the invite. Going about installing it now.
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 1:06 AM