Can I use Silverlight 5 controls with Lightswitch v1 (VS2010)? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a mature app that uses some Telerik controls on the LS screens. I'm using a fairly old version of their controls, partly because I haven't been bothered to upgrade, and partly because the newer versions are based on SL5.

Can I use SL5 controls in LS? I would like to upgrade the Telerik controls, as they have some new stuff, but I don't want to risk breaking this app, nor wasting time on something that it's possible in the first place. I can't find any clear picture by searching.

Thanks for any help.

FREE custom controls for Lightswitch! A collection of useful controls for Lightswitch developers. Download from the Visual Studio Gallery.

If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:11 PM

Answers

• You cannot use Silverlight 5 libraries in LightSwitch v1 applications because it produces Silverlight 4 applications.

This the same for any type of project system where you try to add a reference an assembly of the same framework but with a higher framework version. The main problem in trying to do this is that the higher framework versioned assembly may make calls to types or members or use features that don't exist in the previous framework version.

Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team

• Proposed as answer by Yann DuranModerator Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mr Yossu Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:17 PM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:17 AM

All replies

• I doubt it, unless the controls are SL4-backward compatible. "New stuff" is likely to be using new functionality that's only available in SL5.

Your best bet is to try it out in a simple test application.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:09 AM
  • You cannot use Silverlight 5 libraries in LightSwitch v1 applications because it produces Silverlight 4 applications.

This the same for any type of project system where you try to add a reference an assembly of the same framework but with a higher framework version. The main problem in trying to do this is that the higher framework versioned assembly may make calls to types or members or use features that don't exist in the previous framework version.

Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team

• Proposed as answer by Yann DuranModerator Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mr Yossu Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:17 PM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:17 AM
  • Thanks Yann and Justin. That was what I expected, but I thought it was worth checking.

However, suppose the new version of the controls didn't contain any new members or features? I have no idea if this is the case with the Telerik stuff, but let's suppose for the sake of argument that they had just recompiled them against SL5 instead of SL4. From Justin's comments, it sounds like they might still work.

As I said, this is probably academic anyway, as I doubt they haven't taken advantage of any new features, but it does open up the possibility of recompiling the source (which I get as part of my subscription) against SL4.

Thanks again to both of you.

FREE custom controls for Lightswitch! A collection of useful controls for Lightswitch developers. Download from the Visual Studio Gallery.

If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:20 PM
  • I don't know how you get "it might still work", from "You cannot use Silverlight 5 libraries in LightSwitch v1 applications because it produces Silverlight 4 applications.".

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:05 AM
  • Hmm, nor do I! I wonder if I was thinking of something else when I wrote that.

What an odd comment. Think I need more sleep!

Thanks

Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:43 PM