none
[MS-WMSP] Server Header RRS feed

• Question

• The syntax of the Server header is defined as follows.
    server-token = ( "Cougar" / "Rex" )
    major        = 1*2DIGIT
    minor        = 1*2DIGIT ["." 1*4DIGIT "." 1*4DIGIT]
    product      = ; as defined in section 3.7 of [RFC1945]
    Server       = "Server: server-token "/" 
                    major "." minor *( SP product ) CRLF 

In this, server-token is Courgar or Rex. In section 3.2.5.2 of MS-WMSP Specification:

The server MUST specify the Server (section 2.2.1.5) header in the response. If the server is acting
    as a live encoder, the value of the server-token parameter on the Server header MUST be set to
    "Rex".". Otherwise, it MUST be set to "Cougar".

And in section 3.2.5.4 when receiving a Describe Request :

If the version number specified by the Client-Version variable is greater than or equal to 9.0, and if
    the server is specifying the value of the server-token parameter on the Server header as "Cougar",
    the server MUST send one or more $M (Metadata) packets (section 2.2.3.6).

So, if i want to building a Server that is not acting as a live encoder, i must name for my Server is "Cougar", and when my server's receiving a Describe Request , i must response with a $M packet. But in section 4.6 in here : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc251162(v=PROT.10).aspx, i didn't see a $M packet in figure. So, if i want to build a server that is acting as in section 4.6, my server must be named what ?

Monday, August 1, 2011 7:51 AM

Answers

• Hi PenguiSH:

I am still working on this issue.

What I can tell you now is that the playlist-gen-id is associated with a media file, not play list file. Even if you play a playlist file (*.wsx), Winodws server assigns playlist-gen-id to each file in the play list.

The definition of playlist in MS-WMSP is as follows:

playlist: One or more content items that are streamed sequentially.

and content items are always ASF format. As such, a *.wsx file does not have a playlist-gen-id.

Your server should generate a playlist-gen-id for each file which it streams.

Please let me know if it answers your question.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 11:07 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Penguish,

Thank you for your question.  A colleague will contact you soon to investigate this issue.

Regards,
    Mark Miller
    Escalation Engineer
    US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Monday, August 1, 2011 12:18 PM
  • @Mark Miller : I've been waiting for your answer.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 2:22 PM
  • Hi PenguiSh:

I have taken the ownership of this issue. I am still invstigating and will be in touch as soon as I have an answer.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 4:31 PM
    Owner
  • Hi PenguiSH:

The condition in which $M packet is sent, as you mentioned, is that (MS-WMSP section 3.2.5.4)

1. Client-Version variable is greater than or equal to 9.0

AND

2. The server is specifying the value of the server-token parameter on the Server header as "Cougar"

The figure in section 4.6 is just an example. There are situations in which $M is not sent and picture is showing only packets that are mandatory in all conditions.

I tested the streaming and Windows Server does send $M packets. What I noticed also is that $M is sometimes sent with other packets. In my test run, it was sent with $P and $H packets.

Please let me know if this does not answer your question.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 8:46 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Obaid Farooqui.

Thank for answering me. But my problem's i don't know value of the server-token parameter when i build my server acting as in figure 4.6? If it's "Cougar", must i transfer $M to client ?

Thursday, August 4, 2011 2:26 AM
  • Hi PenguiSH:

Can you please provide more details as to why "i don't know value of the server-token parameter when i build my server acting as in figure 4.6?"?

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 3:58 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Obaid Farooqui:

Now I want to build a streaming server that acting as in figure 4.6. In response to client, i must provide a server-token in Server Header. As protocol describe, it must be Cougar or Rex. Cause my server is not acting as a live encoder, i think it's Cougar. Right? And cause it's Cougar, i must send a $M packet to client. In $M packet, there's a parameter is playlist-gen-id. This token specifies the identifier of the playlist entry to which the current request applies. But, if i build a server as in figure 4.6, it's "Single file streaming", not playlist. So,what value i must set for playlist-gen-id token?

Friday, August 5, 2011 3:28 AM
  • Hi PenguiSH:

Thanks for the clarification. I'll look into this and will be in touch as soon as I have an answer.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Friday, August 5, 2011 4:10 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Obaid Farooqui:

Thank you for helping me. I'm still waiting an answer from you.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 10:16 AM
  • Hi PenguiSH:

I am still working on this issue.

What I can tell you now is that the playlist-gen-id is associated with a media file, not play list file. Even if you play a playlist file (*.wsx), Winodws server assigns playlist-gen-id to each file in the play list.

The definition of playlist in MS-WMSP is as follows:

playlist: One or more content items that are streamed sequentially.

and content items are always ASF format. As such, a *.wsx file does not have a playlist-gen-id.

Your server should generate a playlist-gen-id for each file which it streams.

Please let me know if it answers your question.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 11:07 PM
    Owner
  • I see. Thank you very much
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:39 AM