Suggest me the architectural design RRS feed

• Question

• I work for a company which develops products for insurance domain. There is an already existing mobile application built on Java (J2ME) but the client is now looking for a .NET flavor of it. Also they want it to be supported on all major platforms like Windows Mobile, Andriod, iOS (iPhone) etc. Most I could think of is designing a webservice in .NET and then creating clients targeted for different machines developed on respective supporting languages or SDKs (SOA kind of architecture). One more addition to this could be creating client in Java or may be even Flash to get away with multiple client app development. I am totally new to Mobile app development and know very little about it. Please correct me if I am wrong and also suggest me best possible solution.
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:49 AM

Answers

• The two approaches are feasible as far as I can see. Firstly you can consume web service from Windows Mobile, as .NET Compact Framework has that support:

Consuming Web Services with the Microsoft .NET Compact Framework  
    The WCF subset supported by NetCF

I'm not quite familiar with the other platforms but they should have the support or have 3rd party solutions. You'd better consult their communities for better assessment. 

Secondly Java ME (formerly J2ME) applications can run on Windows Mobile as long as the device has a JVM running. Microsoft does not provide a JVM but there are some 3rd party JVMs. Many Windows Mobile devices come with a JVM out of the box.

Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community.
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Monday, September 6, 2010 4:53 AM
    Friday, September 3, 2010 7:46 AM