development environment versus production environment create differen folder structure RRS feed

• Question

• User-589644965 posted

Hi all,

I have a solution with 3 projects (DAL, BAL, Webapp).

Webapp contains the WebDeployment. When I build a release I get a nice ReleaseFolder including a bin with the DAL.dll, BAL.dll and WebApp_Codebehind.dll.

For hot deployment i need everything uncompiled so i would like to have to subfolder in the webapp with the src file structure.  Is this possible with webdeployment project or do i have to move to nant?

thx!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:26 AM

Answers

• User372121194 posted

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Do you mean "hot deployment" is that we can modify source code on the server? If so, we can place DAL and BAL's classes in the App_Code folder of website, and upload this website with source to server. If we do so, we can modify it, because ASP.NET website can be compiled at runtime.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 1:50 AM

All replies

• User372121194 posted

Hi,

These dlls ( DAL.dll, BAL.dll, and their dependences ) will be copied to ASP.NET web application's Bin folder, if we add reference to them.

We just need to put these dlls in Bin folder. Could you please explain why we want to put them in separate folder?

We also can use Assembly.LoadFrom method (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1009fa28.aspx) to load and use them at runtime. If we do so, we don't need to add reference to them, but it is more complicated. I think it would be better that we add reference to them and put them in Bin folder of web application.

I look forward to receiving your test results.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 11:08 PM
  • User-589644965 posted

Thx, sorry i was missleading for the dll it is okay if the movie to the bin folder of the webapp, but for smaller projects i probably need "hot deployment" so the uncompiled src files should be oved into subfolders. I don't like the idea but these are probably the requirements. Here nant is the way to go, right?

Monday, January 19, 2009 5:41 AM
  • User372121194 posted

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Do you mean "hot deployment" is that we can modify source code on the server? If so, we can place DAL and BAL's classes in the App_Code folder of website, and upload this website with source to server. If we do so, we can modify it, because ASP.NET website can be compiled at runtime.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 1:50 AM
  • User-589644965 posted

Hello,

Exactly, so i have to move the src files from my DAL, BAL Projects into the App_Code folder of website. This is not possible with web deployment project, right? So nant is probably the way to go. Thx!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:40 AM
  • User372121194 posted

Hi,

Yes, Web Deployment Project just compiles website and output result in the target directory we specify.

To move these source files to website, we need to do this by hand. In your case, we can use Copy Web Site Tool to upload your website so that we can modify it on server, after migration is complete.

For more information about Copy Web Site Tool, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb398992.aspx

Thanks.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:09 PM