none
Trying to add Microsoft Word 16.0 Object Library to new VB.Net project RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to add the "Microsoft Word 16.0 Object Library" reference to my project but when I select the checkbox and click okay I get the response "A reference to 'Microsoft Word 16.0 Object Library' could not be added."

I've Googled the issue but I'm unable to find a resolution to this issue and the error message doesn't really give much away.

About my setup

Office: 2016 Standard x64

Visual Studio: 2017 Version 15.8.5

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 9:32 AM

All replies

• Update:

I've checked and it turns out that I'm able to add references to other Office Object Libraries such as Excel and Powerpoint so the issue seems to be isolated to Word.

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 8:19 AM
  • Hi Richard,

This is an office version issue. I tested this in my vs2015/2017 and it works fine. So do you maybe use two

different versions of Excel in your System or installed other Office 32/64 before? However, you could try to

reference Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word in the .NET assembly.

Here is a link for your reference:

Can I still use Microsoft.Office.Interop assemblies with office 2013?

Regards,

Bruce

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 11:09 AM
  • Hi Bruce, 

Thank you for getting back to me, this machine is a completely fresh install.

Fresh install of Windows 10 + updates

Fresh install of Office 2016 + updates

Fresh install of Visual Studio 2017 + updates

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 2:48 PM
  • Hi Richard,

Based on my test, you could try to download the MSWORD.OLB file which put it into the folder

“C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\”. Then restart Visual Studio see if the addition is

work.

Best Regards,

Bruce

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Thursday, September 27, 2018 8:01 AM
  • Hi Richard,

Did you solved your problem or any updates for this?  If you have any question, or update, please feel free

to let me know.

Regards,

Bruce

Monday, October 8, 2018 2:08 AM