How to add a TableAdapter without creating a new table? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a typed dataset that I created using the Dataset Designer. I need to use TableAdapters to fill the tables in the dataset. But there's a problem: if I try to create a new TableAdapter, the wizard automatically creates a new table and adds it to the dataset, along with the TableAdapter.

Here's my question: how can I add a TableAdapter to an existing table? I don't want the wizard to create new tables, just a TableAdapter. I want the adapters be assigned to the tables I already have in the dataset.

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Abdul

• Moved by Mike Feng Monday, December 3, 2012 10:05 AM (From:.NET Base Class Library)
    Sunday, December 2, 2012 2:59 PM

Answers

• I don't think you can.

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

• Marked as answer by Abdul A. Ali Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:37 PM
    Monday, December 3, 2012 4:46 PM
  • Hi Abdul,

I have tested on my side, and I am not be able to add a tableadapter without creating a datatable. Could you please let me know why you don’t create a new Dataset instead of using the existing one?

Good day.

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:12 AM

All replies

• Rightclick the table, add a new query or stored procedure. It will put the new statements in the existing TableAdapter. It won't create a 2nd TableAdapter, but it will update the existing one.

You can't have multiple adapters in the same table through the designer.

Sunday, December 2, 2012 10:19 PM
  • Hi Jesse. Thanks for replying.

I did what you told me. I right-clicked on the DataTable,  but the add>Query option is disabled (greyed out). I could right-click on the DataSet Designer, or drag a Query object from the toolbox, but there are two problems with that: there's no way to attach the query to a DataTable (it becomes a stand-alone function inside the DataSet class), and it only allows you to return a single value, not rows. Please look at the illustrations below:

1) If I right-click on the DataTable, the options to add a TableAdapter and a Query are disabled:

2) You can right-click on the DataSet designer, and you'll see the options to add a TableAdapter or a Query, but the problem is that the TableAdapter will create a new table, and the query will have no table assigned to it. It will become a separate function inside the DataSet.

3) If you choose to right-click on the DataSet Designer and add a query, the query does not allow you to return rows, it only enables you to return a single scalar value:

I hope these illustrations explain my problem. Please help me!

Regards,

Abdul

Monday, December 3, 2012 4:05 AM
  • What type of database and Visual Studio Version are you using? When I drag a table from SQL Server directly onto my dataset, I get a table, with a pre-made table adapter. The adapter has a fill and a GetData method.

That table adapter has a Add Query option:

Which results in this wizard:

Monday, December 3, 2012 7:13 AM
  • Hi Jesse,

I'm using Visual Studio 2010, but my scenario is different from what you're doing in the illustration above. I can drag a table from the server explorer, and I'll get a DataTable with a configured TableAdapter too, but that's no the case. I have been given an XSD file that contains the schema of a typed dataset. The dataset contains tables but not the adapters to fill them. I imported the XSD file to visual studio, and it automatically generated a typed dataset for me. So, I already have all the tables I need in the dataset, and I don't need to add any more tables, or delete existing ones. I just want to create TableAdapters that fill the tables I already have in my dataset.

Can you please tell me how can I do that?

Regards,

Abdul

Monday, December 3, 2012 11:25 AM
  • I don't think you can.

Monday, December 3, 2012 4:46 PM
  • Hi Abdul,

I have tested on my side, and I am not be able to add a tableadapter without creating a datatable. Could you please let me know why you don’t create a new Dataset instead of using the existing one?

Good day.

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:12 AM
  • He Alexander,

I wanted to use the old dataset because it was given to me like that, and I didn't want to recreate everything from scratch. But now that I know I can't add a TableAdapter without creating a new table, I've requested for a revised dataset which has TableAdapters associated with the tables.

Thanks for the response!

Regards,

Abdul

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:36 PM