none
.Net web services on Windows store app RRS feed

• Question

• Learning developing for Windows store app now. A dumb question, wondering if we could open web services in Windows store app, so that other boxes can remote call the app remotely (call the Windows store app by the IP address of the box, where the Windows store app is installed)? If so, a guide is appreciated. Not found any good C# guide.

thanks in advance,

Lin

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 4:13 AM

Answers

• BTW, DA924. I think in the project, the Windows store app consumes some web services other than create a web services for others? If you could refer some documents on how to create web services on Windows store app for others, it will be great. :) 

I don't think you can do it. A Web service has to be hosted by IIS, Apache and etc., etc. The Web server has to be configured to run the Web service. I don't think the App Store is going to allow an App Store solution to configure a user's machine.

You can check it out for yourself.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-us/home

• Marked as answer by linlma Monday, February 29, 2016 10:48 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:41 AM

All replies

• Thanks DA924, vote up! I want to confirm with you Windows store app could open web services and using the same IP address of the host machine (where the Windows store app is installed), so that remote desktop and mobile device could access? Thanks.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 11:06 PM
  • BTW, DA924. I think in the project, the Windows store app consumes some web services other than create a web services for others? If you could refer some documents on how to create web services on Windows store app for others, it will be great. :) 
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 11:20 PM

I don't think you can do it. A Web service has to be hosted by IIS, Apache and etc., etc. The Web server has to be configured to run the Web service. I don't think the App Store is going to allow an App Store solution to configure a user's machine.

You can check it out for yourself.

• Marked as answer by linlma Monday, February 29, 2016 10:48 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:41 AM
  • Thanks DA924, understand hosting in IIS and Apache is not allowed in Windows store app, and wondering if we can start WCF service listener in Windows store app? I remember WCF could be self hosted by the application itself?
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:58 AM
  • Thanks DA924, understand hosting in IIS and Apache is not allowed in Windows store app, and wondering if we can start WCF service listener in Windows store app? I remember WCF could be self hosted by the application itself?

I don't know you'll have to check the rules on developing and publishing a solution as a store app

Of course you can have TCP Listener program using socket programming or a WCF TCP listener. It's a question if the Windows Store allows it.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 3:10 AM
  • Thanks DA924,

Where do you suggest I can check the rules of Windows store app?

regards,

Lin

Thursday, February 25, 2016 6:45 PM
  • Thanks DA924,

Where do you suggest I can check the rules of Windows store app?

regards,

Lin

Come on man, I gave you the link previously.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 11:13 PM
  • Thanks DA924!
    Friday, February 26, 2016 2:28 AM
  • BTW, DA924, how to mark your reply as answered? Thanks.
    Friday, February 26, 2016 5:28 PM

I would suspect that you would have to login to this MSDN forum. But it could be that the MSDN Web site is no working correctly if you can Mark a reply as answered.

Friday, February 26, 2016 6:19 PM

I would suspect that you would have to login to this MSDN forum. But it could be that the MSDN Web site is no working correctly if you can Mark a reply as answered.

Just woke up -- that is site is not working properly and if you can't mark a reply as answered.
    Friday, February 26, 2016 6:20 PM
  • Thanks DA924, I am able to mark your reply as answered through your help (:))). Have a good day. :)
    Monday, February 29, 2016 10:49 PM