none
Problem with .net-Remoting "Connection could not be made because the target machine actively refused it". RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

since a couple of weeks I'm struggling with a piece of old Software that still uses .net-Remoting.

I have a setting with 5 Clients doing remote-Operations on one server. This works well for a couple of hours but then a few clients fail with the following message "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it".

Although this error is well known in the community, all suggested causes would prevent a client from making a connection at all (e.g. wrong IP-Address, wrong Port, a Firewall preventing a connection and so on). But this can't be the case because it works for some time and only fails after maybe 2-5 hours.

So I'm looking for causes for this problem which can occur after some time of flawless operation.

The only one that I found so far would be the Backlog-Queue of the Socket running out of Space. But as far as I understand this problem, the Backlog-queue in .net has a Standard-Size of 250 and 5 Clients should not be able to overflow this.

Does anyone have a suggestion what the cause for this Problem could be?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 8:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Andreas,

There is a variety of reasons that can cause this issue, just as you said. This works well for a couple of hours, so from our side, the code works well.  

To track down connection issue, the only way I would suggest you watching communication with the machine using a packet sniffer like Packetyzer to find out what's going on at the TCP/IP level.

Best regards,

Kristin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 20, 2016 8:17 AM