Future of Shared Cache? RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently using Shared Cache with our services in South Central DC, and with what appear to be ongoing issues in that datacenter we have been considering a move to East.  But we just learned that Shared Cache is not supported in East or West.

Is this just a temporary issue, or is this a sign that Shared Cache is being discontinued in favor of the "dedicated cache" which runs alongside the application?  I ask because the "dedicated cache" is not an option based on how many of our apps currently operate.

Part of what we use Shared Cache for is to store objects (usually DataTables) which have been prepared by background services and are later consumed by front-end web sites.  From what we can tell, the "dedicated cache" would eliminate this division of workload by creating a cache which is only accessible by the cloud service it is created within.

Unless there is now some way to create a true Dedicated Cache.  Can we now create a Cloud Service which is nothing but Cache, and expose endpoints for our other Cloud Services to communicate with it similar to the current Shared Cache model?  And more importantly, can we also do so in Extra Small instances?  We need only 256MB of Cache, but we do need it to be shared among our various Cloud Services.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:23 PM

Answers

• Thanks.  Finally, some real answers to my questions.  I greatly appreciate that.

Can you offer any insight on the issue of Shared Cache not being available in East and West?  Is this because work is focusing on allowing us to operate our own Dedicated Cache and share it among our cloud services?

Shared caching is not available in all data centers, in US its only in NC and SC.

To get around this you could use dedicated caching in the other data centers. However the scenario you have mentioned is not yet available out of the box with current release of dedicated cache.

" Is this because work is focusing on allowing us to operate our own Dedicated Cache and share it among our cloud services?"

Like I mentioned earlier, we are aware of this gap. However there isnt any public information I can share.

Sunday, November 4, 2012 11:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>> But we just learned that Shared Cache is not supported in East or West.

Here is an news from Windows Azure Blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazure/archive/2012/05/24/datacenter-expansion-and-capacity-planning.aspx

>> Unless there is now some way to create a true Dedicated Cache. Can we now create a Cloud Service which is nothing but Cache, and expose endpoints for our other Cloud Services to communicate with it similar to the current Shared Cache model?  And more importantly, can we also do so in Extra Small instances?

For Windows Azure Caching on Dedicated Roles, please refer to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/hh914140.aspx

Best Regards

Friday, November 2, 2012 2:23 AM
  • You of course realize that your links answer none of the questions I raised?

The first link makes no reference to Shared Cache support for East or West, only SQL support.

The second link does not answer any of the following questions:

1) Why are Extra Small not allowed for Dedicated Cache?

2) How do I create an external endpoint for Dedicated Cache to allow it to work with cloud services not part of the same deployment?

3) How do I configure a cloud service to access Dedicated Cache in a different deployment?

This makes I believe the 3rd time that I have raised these questions in this forum, and so far they still remain unanswered.

Friday, November 2, 2012 1:34 PM
  • 1) Why are Extra Small not allowed for Dedicated Cache? - Extra small roles are not thoroughly tested with Azure cache and hence not supported. We made a call of enabling the majority of our scenarios which are Small -> XL.

2) How do I create an external endpoint for Dedicated Cache to allow it to work with cloud services not part of the same deployment?

This is currently not supported. But rest assured we are aware of this gap.

3) How do I configure a cloud service to access Dedicated Cache in a different deployment?

Read 2, its not directly enabled by azure caching yet. To do it at your app level, you may be able to do this :

1. Deploy cache worker role which populates the cache.

2. In the worker role expose a WCF endpoint which can be accessed by your webroles through the VIP. The WCF endpoint sitting on cache roles would be able to access your caching servers.

Saturday, November 3, 2012 10:32 AM
  • Thanks.  Finally, some real answers to my questions.  I greatly appreciate that.

Can you offer any insight on the issue of Shared Cache not being available in East and West?  Is this because work is focusing on allowing us to operate our own Dedicated Cache and share it among our cloud services?

Saturday, November 3, 2012 9:21 PM

Shared caching is not available in all data centers, in US its only in NC and SC.

To get around this you could use dedicated caching in the other data centers. However the scenario you have mentioned is not yet available out of the box with current release of dedicated cache.

" Is this because work is focusing on allowing us to operate our own Dedicated Cache and share it among our cloud services?"

Like I mentioned earlier, we are aware of this gap. However there isnt any public information I can share.

Sunday, November 4, 2012 11:22 AM