none
menu 'Project' is not visible

Question

• The menu bar 'Project' does not appear on VisioStudio2010 Shell that I've just instaleed in my computer (windows10 - x64 bits). Does anyone knows how to fix it?
    Friday, February 12, 2016 12:06 AM

Answers

• Hi aalberto1974,

I setup a clean machine windows 10, and then I install the SSDT 2010 which includes the VS2010 shell:

Download SQL Server Data Tools for Visual Studio 2010

And then I just create the Database project or the blank solution:

And then I could see the "Project" menu in my side.

So please check it using the same sql database project.

If still no help or you couldn't create this project, please re-download the ssdt 2010, re-install or repair it again.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by aalberto1974 Saturday, February 20, 2016 1:43 AM
    Friday, February 19, 2016 7:55 AM

All replies

• the menu bar 'Project' does not appear on VisioStudio2010 Shell that I've just instaleed in my computer (windows10). Does anyone knows how to fix it?
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 6:56 PM
  • Hi aalberto1974,

Does "Visual Studio 2010" show 'Project' in the menu bar?
    With "VS 2013" and "VS 2015", 'Project' does not appear in the menu bar.

Or, you mean 'Start Page'?
    If so, select [Show Start Page]:
        [TOOLS] > [Options] > [Environment] > [Startup]
       (It's in case of Visual Studio 2013. I suppose it's almost the same with VS 2010.) 

Regards.       

• Edited by Ashidacchi Friday, February 12, 2016 1:10 AM
    Friday, February 12, 2016 1:04 AM
  • Hi,

Since this question is about the Visual Studio, I've moved this thread to the more appropriate forum.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Marked as answer by aalberto1974 Friday, February 12, 2016 11:11 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by aalberto1974 Friday, February 12, 2016 11:11 PM
    Friday, February 12, 2016 6:31 AM
  • Hi Ashidachi,
    Thank you for your answer. Indeed VS2010 shows the 'Project' in the menu bar, but in my computer I don't see it; without it I cannot do anything. I've tried what you advised but the problem is still there.
    Friday, February 12, 2016 11:08 PM
  • Hi aalberto1974,

>>Indeed VS2010 shows the 'Project' in the menu bar, but in my computer I don't see it;

I think the cause of your issue is not in your Visual Studio. I think it is more related to the resolution of your computer. I suppose the resolution of your computer doesn't reach the requirement of the VS2010.

Please refer to the requirement of VS2010:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23691

Hardware Requirements:

• 1.6GHz or faster processor
    • 1024 MB RAM (1.5 GB if running in a virtual machine)
    • 5.5 GB of available hard-disk space
    • 5400 RPM hard drive
    • DirectX 9 capable video card running at 1024 x 768 or higher-resolution display
    • DVD-ROM drive

Please check the resolution of your computer. Adjust the resolution then try it again.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, February 15, 2016 3:16 AM
  • Hi Lake Xiao,
    Thank you for your answer. I've checked and everything is ok with resolution of my computer (indeed it is new with i7 2.5GHz procesor, 16GB RAM, more then 200 GB of free space in the SSD disk). I don't have a DVD-ROM drive but I think that this is not the problem. The problem is still there.

Monday, February 15, 2016 6:54 PM
  • Hi aalberto 1974,

How about using Access-Key?  i.e. combination of [Alt] key + some key
    While your problem remains, it would be an alternative. I'm still searching an answer.

Below is with Visual Studio 2013. Access keys are almost the same in VS 2010, I hope.

Regards.

Monday, February 15, 2016 11:36 PM
  • Hi aalberto1974,

Could you share me a screen shot about this issue? Do you mean that you install the VS2010 Shell or the VS2010 IDE?

The VS2010 shell:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=1366

Or you installed the specific VS version like the VS2010 Ultimate or other versions, you could get the version information from the menu Help->About VS.

Please share me the detailed version information.

For example, if you use the VS2010 IDE, if you just open the blank VS IDE, it doesn't share you the "Project" menu, you need to create a new project, and then you would get it like the following screen shot(VS2010 Ultimate)

If you use the VS2010 shell, like this blog here:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/rickandy/2012/08/02/installing-and-using-sql-server-data-tools-ssdt-on-visual-studio-2010-and-vwd/

It would have the same issue, I mean that if you just open the blank shell editor, it would no have the project menu, open one file or create a new project, check it again.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 4:16 AM
  • Hi, thank you for your suggestion but it still doesn-t work. I've tested all Alt + Key combinations but none work. The problem is still there. Do you have any idea of what to do?

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 6:48 PM
  • Hi aalberto1974,

Do you have any Project that has been made by you on this Visual Studio 2010?
    If so, do [File] > [New] > [Project].  

Or if you can see "Start Page", click [New Project].

If you cannot see "Start Page" after starting your Visual Studio 2010,
    menu -- [TOOLS] > [Options] > [Environment -- Start] -- [Show Start Page] 

Regards.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 2:49 AM
  • Hi, I share the screen shot (picture 1), the information about the VS2010 that I've installed (picture 2). After do New project, the screen is like on picture 3, without menu Porject.

I've tried to open old projects, made on other version but none openned. I've also tried to open a project made on VS2010 by a colleague, it openned and I can see the menu Project but when I tried to make a new project the VS2010 returns the same error: the menu Project disappears. I cannot create a new project on my computer and I don't understand why?

Thursday, February 18, 2016 10:52 AM
  • Hi, I've done as you suggest but nothing. At the end the screen for a new project is like:

I still don't understand what's happening? I cannot make a new project on VS2010 running on my computer.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 10:54 AM
  • Hi aalberto1974,

As far as your screenshots,
    I'm afraid you cannot open your old projects which you made. If you want to open them anyway, share one of them via cloud storage such as OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.

Which language do/did you use, C#, VB...??
    What kind of software do/did you make, Web application, Console app, Window app...??

Regards. 

• Edited by Ashidacchi Thursday, February 18, 2016 12:25 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 11:58 AM
  • Hi, I am using Fortran where I have made several finite element numerical codes. The old software that I used was 'Compaq Visual Fortran 6 - Developer Studio'. I share with you one simple file with a code inside (open the file *.dsw which refers to the project workspace; the code is in the file *.for):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ci166iottte400j/conv_2canais.zip?dl=0

Regards.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 12:42 PM
  • Hi,

I've downloaded your shared zip file and upzipped it successfully.
    And then, I double-clicked "conv_t_2c.dsw", my Visual Studio 2013 appeared and showed this file might be corrupted or could be opened.
    (originally in Japanese, my native environment)

And I tried to open "conv_t_2c.sln", double-clicked it...

... It's around 22:30 in Japan. I'm already drunken.
    So, our story will be continued...

What I can say at the present time... aalberto1974, you should have provided more information earlier...
    Regards. 
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 1:34 PM
  • Hi,

Download "ash.zip" and unzip it.
    Then, double click "conv_t_2c.vcxproj" in File Explorer, and you will see your code and (I hope) menu "Project". 

Regards.
    Friday, February 19, 2016 1:14 AM
  • Hi aalberto1974,

I setup a clean machine windows 10, and then I install the SSDT 2010 which includes the VS2010 shell:

Download SQL Server Data Tools for Visual Studio 2010

And then I just create the Database project or the blank solution:

And then I could see the "Project" menu in my side.

So please check it using the same sql database project.

If still no help or you couldn't create this project, please re-download the ssdt 2010, re-install or repair it again.

Best Regards,

Jack

• Marked as answer by aalberto1974 Saturday, February 20, 2016 1:43 AM
    Friday, February 19, 2016 7:55 AM
  • Hi, I cannot open the file. The VS2010 says that it cannot open this file because it was produced in a new version. Thank you for your help.
    Regards
    Saturday, February 20, 2016 1:42 AM
  • Hi Jack-Zhai, your suggestion worked well. Now I can open my files and create new projects. Thanks.
    Saturday, February 20, 2016 1:43 AM