none
When using multiple Kinects (2-4 units) , what is the hardware CPU/RAM requirement for decent processing/performance ? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking to run 2 - 4 Kinects simultaneously (mostly for the use of depth and color sensors). Before purchasing so many units, I'd like to know if  this would require a much higher end system/cpu/ram for decent processing/performance (no lag, etc).

If anyone were able to give me estimate numbers as to how much extra ram a single ADDITIONAL kinect might require, itd be great.

And if a higher CPU is required / hardware processor speed requirements

I'd like to know if Kinects tend to take a big toll on a system or if generally a single PC can handle multiple (a number would be nice) units running their sensors without any noticible latency/performance issues.

Thanks so much in advance !!

• Edited by jess169 Wednesday, August 3, 2016 6:02 PM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 5:46 PM

Answers

• Kinect for Windows Runtime (2.x) supports only a single sensor connected to the PC. The same applies to Kinect API where no mean to enumerate multiple sensors exists (it did for "Xbox 360 Kinect" but not for "Xbox One" version).

see: Maximum number of Kinect for Windows v2 Cameras on one PC?

To capture color & depth streams even a not-completely-low-end system with integrated graphics can do the job. 

• Marked as answer by jess169 Friday, August 5, 2016 2:40 PM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 10:41 PM

All replies

• Kinect for Windows Runtime (2.x) supports only a single sensor connected to the PC. The same applies to Kinect API where no mean to enumerate multiple sensors exists (it did for "Xbox 360 Kinect" but not for "Xbox One" version).

see: Maximum number of Kinect for Windows v2 Cameras on one PC?

To capture color & depth streams even a not-completely-low-end system with integrated graphics can do the job. 

• Marked as answer by jess169 Friday, August 5, 2016 2:40 PM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 10:41 PM
  • Hi, thanks so much for your response. But I'm a little confused, On that post. it says that only a maximum of 1 kinect is supported/can run. And over here, https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/63c7c52e-1290-452e-8e04-74330822d16f/maximum-number-of-kinect-cameras-on-one-pc?forum=kinectsdk . It says that upto 4 have been tested..

I don't really understand what you mean by Xbox one version and Xbox 360 version.. is it that the Kinect for windows v1 supported 4, and now the kinect for windows v2 only supports one?

Thanks!

Thursday, August 4, 2016 12:45 PM
  • Yes that is what I meant. Kinect for Windows v2 (or to be more exact: Kinect for Windows Runtime 2.x) supports only a single v2 sensor connected to a computer.
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 6:49 PM
  • This is probably the most common misconception.

Basically the Kinect sensors are two versions, v1 and v2.

Xbox 360 and "Kinect for Windows" refer to v1 sensor, whereas Xbox One and "Kinect for Windows v2" refer to v2 sensor.

Both editions of the sensor (Xbox or "for Windows") can be used on a PC. It's just that the Xbox sensor needs an extra adapter to make it possible, while the "for Windows" edition works as is. Functionally, the sensors themselves are identical.

The "for Windows" edition though cannot be used on Xbox.

@jess: if you need multiple Kinect v2 sensors being used, then the only way is through separate machines, one per sensor and perhaps another one as a master machine that collects and performs calculations on the collected data.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 9:36 PM
  • There is one option for using multiple Kinect v2 on one machine: libfreenect2. It's an alternative, open-source driver/SDK for Kinect v2 and it supports multiple Kinect v2 (up to 5 simultaneously have been reported). But it only provides the raw data, no advanced processing like skeleton tracking.

Each Kinect needs its own USB3.0 controller and of course some processing power on both CPU and GPU. So you'll most likely need some USB3.0 expansion cards, which need to be plugged into PCIe x2 ports.

Friday, August 5, 2016 8:45 AM
  • Thanks so much Henning, Jan and Npatch!! Very helpful information. I'm not very interested in the skeleton tracking so I might take a look into the libfreenect2 option and see what the data is like. Do you think purchasing the v1 and just creating the application with several v1 sensors (inspite of the lower resolutions the v1 camera offers) would be my best alternative?
    Friday, August 5, 2016 3:59 PM