SQL Server 2012 Express setup error with component error code 0x851A0019 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install SQL Server 2012 Express in a Windows 7 Enterprise machine but always get this error when installing the named instance MAPS:
    Wait on the Database Engine recovery handle failed. Check the SQL Server error log for potential causes.

The database engine does not start, even tried to change the user for local system or account.

It's important to refer that I've already had SQL 2012 Express installed and working in this machine, with the named instance MAPS. I can install other instances with other names, but not this one.

Because the previous install was for testing purposes and I now wanted to work on a clean install & DB I've uninstalled SQL and deleted the remaining folders in Programs and Programs (x86), including the local SQL user folders.

In the final stage of the setup I get the message "Wait on the Database Engine recovery handle failed. Check the SQL Server error log for potential causes."

Looking at the logs the error was "component error code 0x851A0019":

Detailed results:
      Feature:                       Database Engine Services
      Reason for failure:            An error occurred during the setup process of the feature.
      Next Step:                     Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Component name:                SQL Server Database Engine Services Instance Features
      Component error code:          0x851A0019
      Error description:             Wait on the Database Engine recovery handle failed. Check the SQL Server error log for potential causes.
      Error help link:               http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=11.0.2100.60&EvtType=0xD15B4EB2%400x4BDAF9BA%401306%4025&EvtType=0xD15B4EB2%400x4BDAF9BA%401306%4025
      Feature:                       SQL Browser
      Feature:                       SQL Writer
      Feature:                       SQL Client Connectivity
      Feature:                       SQL Client Connectivity SDK

After many many hours searching the web and almost as many trial and error procedures, I've almost certain that the error resides in the registry, on the key HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1125719120-3159512075-4029346314-500 that remained after the SQL uninstall and now the setup program can't overwrite.

I tried the manually delete the registry key but I can't, I always get a message indicating that there was an error deleting the key. I've also tried the usual, like changing the ownership and rights for this key, with no success. Most probably the key is corrupted.

I have also tried installing SQL and uninstalling again, with the same errors.

I am almost certain that if I could delete that registry key all my problems would go away, well, not all, but at least this one...

Can anyone help me on this?

Friday, September 28, 2012 3:32 PM

Answers

• From the logs here is the error

Unable to initialize SSL encryption because a valid certificate could not be found, and it is not possible to create a self-signed certificate.

Would you please check-out below blog post

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/karthick_pk/archive/2011/03/05/initializing-the-fallback-certificate-failed-with-error-code-1-state-1-error-number-2146893788.aspx

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    View Ahmed Ibrahim's profile on LinkedIn

• Marked as answer by Papy Normand Monday, March 18, 2013 6:37 PM
    Sunday, September 30, 2012 1:09 PM
  • Hi Jorge,

According to the error messages of the bottom of the log file SQLServer_ERRORLOG_2012-09-28t16.36.07.txt, you can try to generate a self-signed certificate and plug it into SQL Server Configuration Manager > SQL Server Network Configuration > Protocols for MAPS > Properties > Certificate > Certificate. For more details, please refer to this blog.

Best Regards,
    Ray Chen

• Proposed as answer by Shulei Chen Monday, October 8, 2012 9:48 AM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:23 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You already shared with us the Summary.txt log file, but could you please share with us the rest of Setup logs. The following article may help you locate them on disk:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702(v=sql.110)

Thank you in advance..

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, September 28, 2012 3:54 PM
  • You could use file sharing service like skydrive.com to upload log

also would you check-out the answer for below related thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/6656d8ef-1df0-4e22-9e16-32ffb1754756

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.

Sunday, September 30, 2012 8:17 AM
  • Thank you both, Alberto and Ahmed, for your interest in this post.

I'm including a link for the file "LogSet_HDAZP_20120928_163453.cab" where you can find all the logs of the last setup:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=2E22B96DCB17CC99!109&authkey=!AFindQF26LTNczQ

Here is also the full content of the file "Summary.txt":

Overall summary:
      Final result:                  Passed
      Exit code (Decimal):           0
      Start time:                    2012-09-28 16:35:08
      End time:                      2012-09-28 16:37:07
      Requested action:              Uninstall

Machine Properties:
      Machine name:                  HDAZP
      Machine processor count:       2
      OS version:                    Windows 7
      OS service pack:               Service Pack 1
      OS region:                     Invariant Country
      OS language:                   português (Portugal)
      OS architecture:               x64
      Process architecture:          64 Bit
      OS clustered:                  No

Product features discovered:
      Product              Instance             Instance ID                    Feature                                  Language             Edition              Version         Clustered
      SQL Server 2012      MAPS                 MSSQL11.MAPS                   Database Engine Services                 1033                 Express Edition      11.0.2100.60    No       

Package properties:
      Description:                   Microsoft SQL Server 2012
      ProductName:                   SQL Server 2012
      Type:                          RTM
      Version:                       11
      SPLevel:                       0
      Installation edition:          Express

User Input Settings:
      ACTION:                        Uninstall
      CONFIGURATIONFILE:             C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20120928_163453\ConfigurationFile.ini
      ENU:                           false
      FEATURES:                      SQLENGINE
      HELP:                          false
      INDICATEPROGRESS:              false
      INSTANCEID:                    <empty>
      INSTANCENAME:                  MAPS
      QUIET:                         false
      QUIETSIMPLE:                   false
      UIMODE:                        Normal
      X86:                           false

Configuration file:            C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20120928_163453\ConfigurationFile.ini

Detailed results:
      Feature:                       Database Engine Services

Rules with failures:

Global rules:

There are no scenario-specific rules.

Rules report file:               C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20120928_163453\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm

Sunday, September 30, 2012 12:59 PM
  • I had already seen that thread on my previous web searches, but the conclusion is not satifactory to me. The various solutions I've found all go by reinstalling the entire OS or by installing another version os SQL, they are all workarounds, not efetive solutions.

Neither is the cause of the error ever identified, wich I think is the refered register key.

Sunday, September 30, 2012 1:03 PM
  • From the logs here is the error

Unable to initialize SSL encryption because a valid certificate could not be found, and it is not possible to create a self-signed certificate.

Would you please check-out below blog post

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/karthick_pk/archive/2011/03/05/initializing-the-fallback-certificate-failed-with-error-code-1-state-1-error-number-2146893788.aspx

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Sunday, September 30, 2012 1:09 PM
  • The solution on this thread refers to a corrupted user account.

In my case there had to be a user user account named MSSQL$MAPS to be deleted, but the problem is that the SQL setup didn't even create this account, there is no user with this name in the computer.

Wy can I create any other instance with another name and not this one?

Sunday, September 30, 2012 7:02 PM
  • Hi Jorge,

According to the error messages of the bottom of the log file SQLServer_ERRORLOG_2012-09-28t16.36.07.txt, you can try to generate a self-signed certificate and plug it into SQL Server Configuration Manager > SQL Server Network Configuration > Protocols for MAPS > Properties > Certificate > Certificate. For more details, please refer to this blog.

Best Regards,
    Ray Chen

• Proposed as answer by Shulei Chen Monday, October 8, 2012 9:48 AM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:23 AM