how does it all work together? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have read many articles, a SharePoint 2013 book, watched webinars, YouTube vids. These focus on one subject and don't explain the relationship between the major parts of SharePoint 2013Team Site/Public Site/Designer2013/Office365.

How does it all tie in together?

I know how to add pages, navigate, add apps, modify the look and feel, I also know how to open the SharePoint 2013 site I created in Team site inside Designer 2013

I want to create a simple website.

I noticed that my installation of SharePoint 2013 has more apps in Team Site than Public site. For example Public site does not have Calendar app.

My 4 Questions would be:

1 What is the difference between Team Site and Public site?

2 Why don't I have the same apps in Team Site and Public site?

3 If I finish building the site in Designer, does it update SharePoint or do I "Make Website Online" from Designer?

4 I noticed the "Make Website Online" is not in the Team Site tile. Can I build a website from Team Site and send it online?

Thank you
    Pierre

pgg02

Sunday, November 3, 2013 4:27 PM

Answers

• HI,

Pls find answers for each of your question

ANS:- Team site is basically for collaborating between people within a specific team or a team with similar interest group etc. Team site usually are intranet portals with in an organization with AD authentication or Forms authentication.

Public site is basically an anonymous site without any authentication. Its more of a read only site which public can view and utmost public is allowed to give ratings and post comment.

ANS:- By design MS has designed site template with basic set of apps what they think that could generally constitute a team, public or any site template for that matter. MS has given provision to activate the necessary feature in order to get any apps activated in any site.

3 If I finish building the site in Designer, does it update SharePoint or do I "Make Website Online" from Designer?ANS:- After creating the site you need to publish it or check-in the necessary files in order for it to get published.

4 I noticed the "Make Website Online" is not in the Team Site tile. Can I build a website from Team Site and send it online?

ANS:- You can create a Teamsite and make it anonymous site to create a website and send it online.

Regards,

Sairam Avacorp Technologies

• Marked as answer by pgg02 Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:09 PM
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 8:48 AM
  • Thank you Dennis, I am grateful to all that take time helping others on a volunteer basis.

pgg02

• Marked as answer by pgg02 Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:04 PM
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The Public Website in Office 365 is part of SharePoint Online, and it can be customized using many of the same tools and techniques used to customize any SharePoint-based website. The website itself is a standalone SharePoint site collection, similar to the Team Site collection. There is only one public website, and you cannot create additional public websites or sub sites under the website in Office 365.

Here are two articles for your reference:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/sharepoint-help/get-started-with-the-public-website-HA102801171.aspx
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/sharepoint-help/make-your-public-website-online-or-offline-HA102801170.aspx

Best Regards,
    Dennis Guo

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 8:29 AM
  • HI,

Pls find answers for each of your question

ANS:- Team site is basically for collaborating between people within a specific team or a team with similar interest group etc. Team site usually are intranet portals with in an organization with AD authentication or Forms authentication.

Public site is basically an anonymous site without any authentication. Its more of a read only site which public can view and utmost public is allowed to give ratings and post comment.

ANS:- By design MS has designed site template with basic set of apps what they think that could generally constitute a team, public or any site template for that matter. MS has given provision to activate the necessary feature in order to get any apps activated in any site.

3 If I finish building the site in Designer, does it update SharePoint or do I "Make Website Online" from Designer?ANS:- After creating the site you need to publish it or check-in the necessary files in order for it to get published.

ANS:- You can create a Teamsite and make it anonymous site to create a website and send it online.

Regards,

Sairam Avacorp Technologies

• Marked as answer by pgg02 Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:09 PM
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 8:48 AM
  • Thank you Dennis, I am grateful to all that take time helping others on a volunteer basis.

pgg02

• Marked as answer by pgg02 Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:04 PM
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:04 PM
  • Thank you, as I read your answer I realised that what I really want to build is an intranet not internet site. I volunteered to organise the computer file system at our condo management office, and the requirements ended up surpassing my capacity but am up for the challenge. Specially with the help of knowledgeable like you.

Thanks again

Pierre

pgg02

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:09 PM