HELP FOR MYSQL CONNECTOR RRS feed

• Question

• Good day everyone,I already learn about Connecting MS Access Database and now I try to learn another connection which is MySQL connection. I need an advice,what MySQL connector version support by Visual Studio 2010.

I hope you can help me with my problem.

Thanks 

clynnekent

Friday, June 5, 2020 7:53 AM

Answers

• MySQL is not a popular database,  and there is not a lot of support for it in the MSDN forums like there is for MS SQL Server. I recommend that you download and install MS SQL Server Express that is free to use and MS SQL Server Stuido Manager, which there are lots of tutorials and documentation on how to use both. 

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=sqlexpress

• Marked as answer by clynnekent Monday, June 8, 2020 12:29 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2020 2:42 PM
  • Hello,

MySql documentation is found on this site and note that there is no VB.NET documentation, all documentation is in C# as this is the targeted language.

Apply what you learned with Access e.g. use a Connection and Command, same applies with MySql as seen in the following code project article.

If you were to use SQL-Server instead of MySql there are a great more resources out there using SQL-Server Express edition which is free. Here is one example working with master-details.

Next up, Visual Studio 2010 is fairly old, you would be better off using Visual Studio 2019 community edition which is free.

Last item, MySql and SQL-Server are best work with using Entity Framework which once learned how to use is easier to work with than conventional data provider. A very basic example.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Friday, June 5, 2020 10:46 AM

All replies

• Hello,

MySql documentation is found on this site and note that there is no VB.NET documentation, all documentation is in C# as this is the targeted language.

Apply what you learned with Access e.g. use a Connection and Command, same applies with MySql as seen in the following code project article.

If you were to use SQL-Server instead of MySql there are a great more resources out there using SQL-Server Express edition which is free. Here is one example working with master-details.

Next up, Visual Studio 2010 is fairly old, you would be better off using Visual Studio 2019 community edition which is free.

Last item, MySql and SQL-Server are best work with using Entity Framework which once learned how to use is easier to work with than conventional data provider. A very basic example.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Friday, June 5, 2020 10:46 AM
  • MySQL is not a popular database,  and there is not a lot of support for it in the MSDN forums like there is for MS SQL Server. I recommend that you download and install MS SQL Server Express that is free to use and MS SQL Server Stuido Manager, which there are lots of tutorials and documentation on how to use both. 

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=sqlexpress

• Marked as answer by clynnekent Monday, June 8, 2020 12:29 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2020 2:42 PM
  • Thank you for the reply maam.
    Monday, June 8, 2020 12:29 PM
  • Thanks for the reply sir.
    Monday, June 8, 2020 12:29 PM