call another metro app from one metro app

Question

• I read some posts and know that  metro app cannot launch desktop app. another question: can i start anoter metro app from my metro app?

Sunday, February 19, 2012 12:30 PM

All replies

• You can launch another metro app manually or programmatically.

Firstly, you can invoke another metro app through share or search features manually.

Secondly, you can call launchDefaultProgramForFile(StorageFile) to launch another metro app.

Best wishes,

Robin [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 12:58 PM
  • Hi,

This content has been removed. Does the namespace Windows.System.Launcher still exist in WRT?

I wish to know is it available to launch another metro app in the current metro app in Windows Consumer Preview.

Thanks

Thursday, April 05, 2012 6:28 AM
  • I got it. At Windows.System.Launcher.LauchFileAsync().
    Thursday, April 05, 2012 10:25 AM
  • The classes are still there. The documentation moved around a bit between the Developer Preview and the Consumer Preview. I fixed Robin's link.

To clarify Robin's original answer, it is not possible for a Metro style app to launch specific application, whether that app be a Metro style app or a desktop app. You can use the Launcher to launch the default handler for a file or protocol, but the launching app has no control over what app will be launched. That is up to the user.

--Rob

Thursday, April 05, 2012 10:24 PM
    Owner
  • Here is a question not related much and I don't know if I have to create another thread.

Question is:

If I use Windows.System.Launcher.LauchFileAsync(), it only accept one file. And I want the Photo App to show all files included in the same folder.

Is there anyway can do it? This function is availiable in Android, I wish somehow I can do it too.

Thanks for reply

Friday, April 06, 2012 10:27 AM
  • No, there is no API for LaunchFilesAsync().

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Monday, April 09, 2012 1:09 PM
  • You can loop through the files and call LaunchFileAsync on each one.

Depending on the app registered to handle that file type it may load them all in one instance or it may open a separate instance for each.

--Rob

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:03 AM
    Owner