no report viewer in vb 2010 express RRS feed

• Question

• In my earlier post I  failed to mention that my vb 2010 is the express edition. I know that report viewer is not included in the free edition. I downloaded the report viewer for vb 2010 redistributable and it installed fine. Where did it install to is another question, I can't find it anywhere.  when I right click on the toolbar and select choose item, the report viewer doesn't show in the net frameworks components list. Where did it go?. I even installed the vb web designer but that didn't help either. any help would be greatly appreciated
    ralph e. brooks
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• the report viewer is selected when i right click and add an item to the toolbar but it doesn't show up in the toolbar. I've downloaded vb web developer and the 2010 add-in and still not there.  

can anyone tell me why?

ralph e. brooks
    • Merged by Calvin_Gao Monday, February 14, 2011 2:38 AM Merge them to keep in the same topic
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Be aware that using the Crystal Report viewer in Visual Basic express is not licensed so using it is illegal (it is a property of SAP)

The power pack contains a feature to create reports. But those are free but is not what is normally called the report viewer.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/bb735936.aspx

Success
    Cor
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:33 PM
  • Double post moderators please merge or move this away, I've put a reply in this thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/dd759efa-6c3d-4a63-aef0-29f84b3daf5b

Success
    Cor
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:36 PM
    • Edited by JohnWein Tuesday, February 15, 2011 6:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Calvin_Gao Friday, February 18, 2011 2:46 AM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:00 PM
  • I think i have the same issue.

This link posted on this thread does not currently work.

VB 2010 report viewer not showing up in toolbox of VB 2010 express.

I have:

VB 2010 Express

SQL Server 2008 R2

I installed Microsoft REport Viewer 2010 Redistributable and it shows up in the Unistall or change program window.

When I select Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 Express -ENU in the Unistall or change program window I do not have the option to add the installed 2010 report viewer.

Any help is appreciated

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 6:11 PM
  • Try my link now.
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 6:17 PM
  • NoteNote

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 does not support Business Intelligence Development Studio Integration Services, Report Services and Analysis Services projects for SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2. To work around this issue, you can install Visual Studio 2008 alongside Visual Studio 2010 on the same machine and then open the Business Intelligence Development Studio projects in Visual Studio 2008.

NoteNote

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 does not support Business Intelligence Development Studio Integration Services, Report Services and Analysis Services projects for SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2. To work around this issue, you can install Visual Studio 2008 alongside Visual Studio 2010 on the same machine and then open the Business Intelligence Development Studio projects in Visual Studio 2008.

so they say:
    Our business has decided to discontinue support for Reporting Add-on in the Visual Studio Express SKU's starting in Visual Studio 2010.

The workaround for this is:
    a) Download the ReportViewer.exe Redist for the run time.
    b) Use Business Intelligence Development Studio 2008 as the report designer. BIDS is available in the SQL Express with Advanced Services free download.

SQL Server Reporting Services
    Fine,
    But How do I get this "BIDS"  I downloaded the database with advanced services for SQL 2008 R2 64 bit I also have the sql servermanagement studio.
    and if I do have it and get it running how do I get it in my toolbox?
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:40 PM
  • if I do have it and get it running how do I get it in my toolbox?
    I'm not familiar with the BIDS toolbox.  For questions about BIDS or SQL Express, try the SQL Express forum.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:06 PM
  • I find this link. ( i HAVE WINDOWS 7)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb630430.aspx

It doesnt work for me.

I try to run devenv.exe because when i CLICK THE the icon the link to bi development studio for 2008 r2 was moved.

It doesnt look like I have it.

I just got the databases so they get recgnized finally in the connection string using "MSSQLSERVER" from VB.net.  I spent all kinds of time getting the webservices security working and gave up. Now I cannot write a simple report with VB 2010.

Thank You.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:11 PM