none
RPC raised an exception with a return code RPC_S_INVALIDA_ARG. RRS feed

• Question

• Can you please look at this error?. Thanks in advance!!

-

System
    - Provider
    [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-MSDTC Client

[ EventSourceName] MSDTC Client
    - EventID 4156
    [ Qualifiers] 16384
    Version 0
    Level 2
    Task 3
    Opcode 0
    Keywords 0x80000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2015-11-30T15:05:52.000000000Z
    EventRecordID 98050
    Correlation
    - Execution
    [ ProcessID] 0
    [ ThreadID] 0
    Channel Application

Security
    - EventData
    param1 RPC raised an exception with a return code RPC_S_INVALIDA_ARG.
    Monday, November 30, 2015 3:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Cathi,

Welcome on MSDN forum.

This forum is related to BizTalk Server queries, and seems your issue is not related to BizTalk.

Please post it on accurate forum for response.

Thanks,

If my reply is helpful please mark as Answer or vote as Helpful.

My blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, November 30, 2015 3:58 PM
  • This issue is from BizTalk server .. Two app servers Biztalk_Server_1, Biztalk_Server_2 (VCS Cluster)  and SQL_Cluster servers. 

EventViewer Error:- 

RPC raised an exception with a return code RPC_S_INVALIDA_ARG

DtcTester.exe  --> getting the following error in Dtctester.

Initializing DTC
    Beginning DTC Transaction
    Enlisting Connection in Transaction
    Error:
    SQLSTATE=25S12,Native error=-2147168242,msg='[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]
    Distributed transaction error'
    Error:
    SQLSTATE=24000,Native error=0,msg=[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Invalid cur
    sor state
    Typical Errors in DTC Output When
    a.  Firewall Has Ports Closed
    -OR-
    b.  Bad WINS/DNS entries
    -OR-
    c.  Misconfigured network
    -OR-
    d.  Misconfigured SQL Server machine that has multiple netcards.
    Aborting DTC Transaction
    Releasing DTC Interface Pointers
    Successfully Released pTransaction Pointer.

Monday, November 30, 2015 4:18 PM
  • Apologize Cathi for not understand your question properly. Now I got it. Please confirm below suggested ports are open for DTC, Reference : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/293799

Suggested Ports to Open for DTC

port(s) port's purpose
    Open 135 RPC EPM (end point mapper)
    Open 1433 TDS SQL traffic when using TCP/IP
    Open 1434 SQL 2000 Integrated Security
    Open 5100-5200 MSDTC [Dynamically assigned a port by the EPM]

Thanks,

My blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, November 30, 2015 4:28 PM
  • Hi,

Have you looked into below MSDN blog post

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/distributedservices/archive/2009/11/05/event-id-4156-with-rpc-s-invalida-arg-is-logged-periodically-in-the-event-log-when-msdtc-mutual-authentication-is-not-required.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/biztalknotes/archive/2014/02/19/biztalk-entsso-service-fails-to-start-windows-server-2003.aspx

Thanks

Abhishek

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply

Monday, November 30, 2015 5:37 PM
  • Hello Cathi,

The above mentioned issue occurs when you have a clustered environment and not a single server.  That means it will  occur in environments where a Clustered SQL Server instance is part of the mix.  Please check the DTC configuration in the SQL server( Run as -->dcomcnfg-->“Component Services” → “Computers” → “My Computer”-->Clustered DTCs-->Security Tab).

Check what the transaction Manager Communication has been set to. If it is set to No authentication required you will face the above mentioned problem.

So, I believe the following is happening:
    1. The code has attempted to bind using Mutual Authentication (it always does this), but then it’s failed (At the moment I think due to some clustering issue). – This causes the error to be written to the event log.
    2. The code has then used an unsecured binding and succeeded.

CAUSE:

The 4156 event typically happens when a session from a DTC to its partner DTC is getting established. The code always attempts to bind using Mutual Authentication to establish a secure session. If secure negotiation fails it will try unsecure binding if Mutual Authentication is not required. The attempt to try Mutual Authentication generates the 4156 event, however the immediate unsecure retry succeeds.

RESOLUTION:

There are two Resolutions

Resolution 1:

If you don't want to see the following event writing to the event log change the Transaction Manager communication to "Mutual Authentication Required" in the clustered DTC configuration. 

Resolution 2:

The 4156 event is safe to ignore if Mutual Authentication is not required and the CM trace log does not contain an additional trace messages of "BuildContextWrapper call failed. This is usually due to network configuration issues". The event is logged from RpcStatusToHresult, a utility function that is called by SetRPCSecurity after RpcBindingSetAuthInfoEx failed. We can consider a Warning message instead of the Error type in the future release.

More about DTC can be found in

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759136%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Cheers,

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 1:18 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.. This is related to cluster access issue , Your reply helped..
    Friday, December 4, 2015 7:37 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.. This is related to cluster access issue , Your reply helped..
    Friday, December 4, 2015 7:37 AM