Lab Management vs Custom RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am trying to get a feel between the difference of having Lab Manager calling through to SCVMM => Hyper V
    and something custom, e.g.
    Using the testing SDK to extend features to call through to existing services, e.g. in our case VMWare ESX API or Workstation API

We have on one hand it seems VS2010 Ultimate needed and Hyper V plus lab manager
    When we have vs2010 Premium licenses and an existing VMware infrastructure which may include vmware lab manager..

If you essentially want to just run up one or two VMs and run some tests on them in an "automated way", and reason why this could not be customised to use Vmware ?

Now i am sure the vs2010 lab manager may offer many features i am not aware of (welcome to have URLs with more detail than the overview ones i have seen), but wonder if it is worth it for us.
    With 40 odd users (on Premium) then using Ultimate means this testing is restricted to the build and test machine (i.e. using Lab Manager). However extending functionality to Premium (via custom approach), means more testing can be done by developers before checkin.

=> Do you know of someone who has customised the tests to do this (i.e. non  SCVMM interface) ?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, August 23, 2010 8:01 AM

Answers

• Firstly testing capabilities are provided in VS Ultimate 2010 and VS Test Professional 2010 only.

You can use non-Hyper-v VMs in Microsoft Test Manager(MTM) as physical machines.

If the intent is to just run tests on these VMs then below steps needs to be done:

1> Install test agent on these VMs.

2> Configure test agent with test controller which is configured to project collection in TFS.

3> Now create physical environment out of these virtual machines (MTM-> Lab Tab->new -> New Physical Environment)

Now on this physical environment, both manual and automated testing can be achieved with data collections.

What will be missed:

1. firstly snapshot capability of virtual machine during manual testing
    2. Automate build-deploy-test cycle
    3. Cloning environments

[http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lab_management/archive/2010/02/11/visual-studio-lab-management-videos.aspx]

• Marked as answer by Greg B Roberts Thursday, August 26, 2010 12:21 AM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:34 AM

All replies

• Firstly testing capabilities are provided in VS Ultimate 2010 and VS Test Professional 2010 only.

You can use non-Hyper-v VMs in Microsoft Test Manager(MTM) as physical machines.

If the intent is to just run tests on these VMs then below steps needs to be done:

1> Install test agent on these VMs.

2> Configure test agent with test controller which is configured to project collection in TFS.

3> Now create physical environment out of these virtual machines (MTM-> Lab Tab->new -> New Physical Environment)

Now on this physical environment, both manual and automated testing can be achieved with data collections.

What will be missed:

1. firstly snapshot capability of virtual machine during manual testing
    2. Automate build-deploy-test cycle
    3. Cloning environments

[http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lab_management/archive/2010/02/11/visual-studio-lab-management-videos.aspx]

• Marked as answer by Greg B Roberts Thursday, August 26, 2010 12:21 AM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:34 AM
  • I realize that using Lab Management on ESX server, we will miss Automate Build-Deploy-Test cycle; however, can we at least automate Deployment on physical environments?

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:58 PM