none
LINQ to SQL disconnected change tracking/n-tier improvements? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Like many others I'm now hitting problems when trying to use LINQ to SQL in a tiered application. In the last few weeks forums and blogs have exploded on the subject, so I'm a little happier knowing that I'm not alone!

I read somewhere (possibly Scott Guthrie's blog) that there was going to be some kind of add-on/extension/update to VS2008 this year, that would provide disconnected change tracking support for LINQ to SQL. Did I imagine this or is it still happening, and do we know of any timescales? There are a couple of similar projects in their infancy on CodePlex but I would prefer a solution native to C#/VS2008 (I think!).

Thanks in advance

Andy

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 3:27 PM

Answers

• Andy,

Sorry for taking so long to answer this.

There is not going to be any big improvement for n-tier scenarios in Visual Studio 2008 SP1. You will still need to take care of tracking changes and state by yourself when your entities are in a disconnected layer.

There is currently no decision around having a new feature that would facilitate this in the next major version.

However, I have seen some comments in the forums from people that seem to be quite satisfied with the custom solutions they have created.

See for instance this thread.

Hope this helps,
    Diego

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 9:17 AM

All replies

• Hello,

If you want an answer about LINQ To SQL, you will have more help in this forum. Here it's for LINQ To Entities.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 3:34 PM
  • Andy,

Sorry for taking so long to answer this.

There is not going to be any big improvement for n-tier scenarios in Visual Studio 2008 SP1. You will still need to take care of tracking changes and state by yourself when your entities are in a disconnected layer.

There is currently no decision around having a new feature that would facilitate this in the next major version.

However, I have seen some comments in the forums from people that seem to be quite satisfied with the custom solutions they have created.

See for instance this thread.

Hope this helps,
    Diego

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 9:17 AM