VS2015 "The project cannot be created" error. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, 

I have a word document which I have been making some macros for our company's needs. 

I'd like to convert it into a VS Project, but I am unable to create any Office Document projects at all. 

If I try to create an Add-In it works, but a Document-level project, be it importing or creating a new Word Document, invariably results in a non-descriptive "the project cannot be created" error. 

The help link only suggests closing and re-opening Visual Studio, and closing all Office Apps, but the error persists. 

Stuff I have tried: 

Attempting to create the document-level project after a fresh system restart. 

• Importing the old document (.docx and .docm)
    • Creating a new document (.docx and .docm)

After Repairing the installation of Visual Studio.

After Repairing the installation of MS Office as well.

Notable facts: I have an Office 2016 365 E3 subscription.

VS 2015 Professional is a subscription as well.

The help link does not really address other cases, I don't know any other possible steps to debug it. Any ideas?

Friday, December 18, 2015 1:52 PM

All replies

• Also tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Office ProPlus 365 - rebooted after each step - but still had the same results.
    Friday, December 18, 2015 4:23 PM
  • Hi Brazilian,

>>If I try to create an Add-In it works, but a Document-level project, be it importing or creating a new Word Document, invariably results in a non-descriptive "the project cannot be created" error

Did you have details error message? Have you upgraded Office 2013 to Office 2016 or installed Office 2016 directly?

I suggest you check the settings below:
    Word Options->Trust Center->Trust Center settings->Macro Settings->verify that the check box next to Trust access to the VBA project object model is checked
    Word Options->Trust Center->Trust Center settings->Add-ins->verify that the check box next to Disable all application add-ins is cleared

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, December 21, 2015 5:25 AM
  • Hi All,

Same problem here. I'm running VS Pro 2015 in a Windows 10 VM and successfully created a C# Excel Add-In Project. I have a 365 subscription running Office 2016.

Trying a C# Excel Template Project fails with the error: "The project cannot be created" (as Brazilian Joe experienced).

Trying a VB Word Template Project fails but with a more descriptive error message: "Programmatic access to the Microsoft Office Visual Basic for Application project system could not be enabled. if Microsoft Office Word or Microsoft Office Excel is running, it can prevent programmatic access from being enabled. Close apps...." but both apps are closed (and no processes are shown in Task Manager nor do I recognize related services).

Edward's suggestions were tested but the issue remains.

Regards,

Marc

Monday, December 21, 2015 4:26 PM
  • Checked the settings. They are like you stated, but the error is happening regardless. 

The machine was reinstalled recently and I installed Office 2016 from the get-go. 

I installed the 32-bits version initially, and recently I switched to the 64-bits version to make my code compatible with it. 

Could it be leftover cruft from  the 32 bits office version breaking things up?

Monday, December 21, 2015 4:45 PM
  • Hi Marc,

With a new environment VS2015 and Office 2016, if I create document level project directly, I would get this error, and it would disappear after I checked the Trust access to the VBA project object model, your error happened when you create EXCEL project, I suggest you check this setting in Excel application.

In addition, have you installed multiple Office in the same pcs?

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 5:52 AM
  • Hi Brazilian,

First, I would confirm that you checked the word application settings, am I right?
    With multiple office installed in the same pcs, it might cause unexpected issue. I am not sure whether this is related with it. I suggest you create a new clean VM with VS 2015 and Office 2016 64-bit to check whether it would work.

Best Regards,

Edward

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 6:00 AM
  • I am seeing the same issue The project cannot be created when I try created VSTO excel document. I have excel 2016 32 bit installed. Please advise.

Thank you

Iris

Iris Abramovitz

Monday, November 21, 2016 5:31 PM
  • Hi lris,

Thanks for your post.

For your own issue, I would suggest you post a new thread and share us more information like VS version, system version.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 5:00 AM
  • Hi, After search in 1000 web sites and spending atleast 7 days 7 night I got the thing Done.

Just revert to an earlier version of Office that is, just remove the

update that might have automatically came from Microsoft. 

Step 1) To do that Stop Auto Update nof Excel /Word etc....

Step 2) visit https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2770432

Step 3) from command promt, execute command to reverse all updates.

Mine was (Excel): 16.0.7341.2035 I downgraded to 16.0.7167.2060.

And now it is working !

(Remeber you may get tired to reverse version it is time consuming and boring... but with my exp i tell u this is the only method.)

Before that I already did following things and was UNSUCCESSFUL.

1) I reinstalled windows 7 & 8.1

2) I installed different versions of ms-office.

3) I tried even repairing of Visual Studio.

4) All patch whatsoever possible.

5) and many more...

BUt only what I write initially (reverse update) worked.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 12:58 PM
  • Downgrading Office resolves the issue.  

The temporary workaround is to roll-back to a previous version of Office and disable automatic Office updates. 

1. Open Excel > File > Account > Update Options > Disable Updates

2. Note of your Office version under Office Updates

3. Keep reverting to the previous version of Office 2013 / 2016 until issue is resolved:
         Start on Step 2: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2770432

In my case, I went from 6965.2115 (December 13, 2016) to 6965.2105 (November 8, 2016)... but issue persisted.

Then down to 6965.2092 (October 11, 2016).. and ISSUE RESOLVED!

------------
    As of Dec. 2016, there's no official Microsoft fix.

Here's the open BUG at Microsoft. Anyone facing this frustration, please up vote to voice your concerns so that Microsoft can take priority on this:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/3117015/excel-designer-cannot-be-activated-visual-studio

• Proposed as answer by Leo Gurdian Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:49 PM
    • Edited by Leo Gurdian Thursday, December 22, 2016 11:41 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 8:41 PM
  • This hasn't worked for me

I even downgraded to earlier versions

Very frustrating

Sunday, January 8, 2017 1:55 AM
  • Hi RobJ-T,

For your own issue, I would suggest you post a new thread, and share us your current Office version and VS project template.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 9, 2017 4:59 AM