Learning UML by doing RRS feed

• Question

• Pardon me if this is not the right forum, however:

I’m trying to learn UML.  I’m reading Sinan Alhir’s “Learning UML” (O’Reilly) and The Amigo’s “The UML User Guide”.  My modeling tool of choice (at least the company’s choice) is Visio 2007.  I’m a learn by doing person, so I’ve been duplicating several of the examples as I work through “Learning UML”. 

I’ve searched but can’t seem to find the answer to the following couple questions (if there are any):

1. When I’m creating an association between two objects, Si indicates that the association name should be underlined.  I’m using the “Binary Association” shape, but can’t seem to figure out what property (short of setting the text|font) to get it underlined.  Am I doing something wrong or does Visio simply not follow that “notation”.  (if you have the book, I’m referring to figure 2-8 on page 21)
    2. Once again, if you have the book, Fig 2-11, page 23, are the “2Tongue Tiedet activities” and “3Tongue Tiedet Tasks” simply the labels of the first and send end name labels?  Is there a way to get Visio to point the arrow up/down when respective shapes are not left or right?  Perhaps I’m being to anal.
    3. Is there a forum I can’t seem to find that already answers these (and more generally ones of the nature) that I could/should be using.
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 7:50 PM

All replies

• UML is the language where designers/architects communicates. There are plenty of books around there but certainly all of this books are all about blue prints. there is no such thing as common to every software but only patterns.

Before I am so uneasy with UML but it takes me a courage to draw my first high level design until i perfected it.

For UML, you just need to identify your attributes to start with.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 2:20 PM
  • I think the "problem" is, that there is not one single UML tool that implements the standard completly and correctly. Sad but true and it leads to the fact that there are tons of uml diagrams around which are wrong and the tool could have told the designer that this is senseless.

And don't go too much in the details with uml. I made the experience that drawing a class diagramm and drawing the relations between classes is enought. Even when you start to differenciate between composite or no composite relation it seems to me, that you have more discussion about the syntax of uml then about your problem domain.

Friday, March 21, 2008 9:05 AM
  • UML is just a blueprint. Nobody has designed it as perfect as it could be. Most technical people uses it to interact with individual who is not that like ours to understand low level concepr of software. We have to provide them something like they will understand.

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:07 PM
  • Take a look at OMGs site about UML, they have the specification.

http://www.uml.org/

I found that that was the case using UML.  Personally, although it's not strictly "correct", I think the clarity of the diagram isn't affected ovely if it isn't underlined.  The direction of the arrow is though.  Can you drag right to left, or flip the arrow on the vertical axis?

Since I don't have the book, you'll have to explain what you're trying to do, then maybe I can help you figure this out?

Martin Platt.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 3:52 AM