Visual Studio 11 Express not working anymore

Question

• After a total system freeze VS is not working anymore. It starts with five error messages that the “Visual Studio Component Model Host Package” could not be loaded. If I try to create a new project it shows a message box that a Microsoft.VisualStudio.Dialogs.DialogInitializationException exception has happened.

Is there any chance to repair this without reinstalling Windows 8?

Saturday, October 01, 2011 8:29 PM

Answers

• Just want to share the email thread of what Ralf found and what finally worked:

Originally, I asked Ralf to

we could also try deleting the cache files to see if those might have been corrupted in some fashion –

Navigate to c:\users\<username>\appdata\local\microsoft\vswinexpress\11.0\Componentmodelcache.  There should be a file named Microsoft.VisualStudio.Default.cache.  Rename the file to something like backup.microsoft.visualstudio.default.cache.

Restart vswinexpress.  Does that make any difference?

Ralf's response:

Your tip to delete/rename the cache file did not work. There wasn’t even a new one created. But it gives me a direction to do another test. I renamed the extension folder and restated VS. There was a short dialog about configuration of the extensions and after this everything looks now fine again. I still have the old folder if you want to have its content for future investigations. But from my point of view the problem is solved.

Huge Thanks for sharing Ralf!
    mike

• Marked as answer by Ralf Kornmann Tuesday, October 04, 2011 5:27 PM
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 4:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Ralf,

could you start VS Express using the log switch:

1. Start a Developer Command prompt

2. type in vswinexpress /log

3. go back to the developer command prompt and type in
    cd %appdata%\microsoft\vswinexpress\11.0

4. Send the activitylog.xml and activitylog.xsl to mikewong nospam @microsoft.com take out nospam,

I will take a look at the activitylog to see what our next point of action. 

much appreciated,

mike

Microsoft Developer Support

Monday, October 03, 2011 7:02 PM
  • Just want to share the email thread of what Ralf found and what finally worked:

Originally, I asked Ralf to

we could also try deleting the cache files to see if those might have been corrupted in some fashion –

Navigate to c:\users\<username>\appdata\local\microsoft\vswinexpress\11.0\Componentmodelcache.  There should be a file named Microsoft.VisualStudio.Default.cache.  Rename the file to something like backup.microsoft.visualstudio.default.cache.

Restart vswinexpress.  Does that make any difference?

Ralf's response:

Your tip to delete/rename the cache file did not work. There wasn’t even a new one created. But it gives me a direction to do another test. I renamed the extension folder and restated VS. There was a short dialog about configuration of the extensions and after this everything looks now fine again. I still have the old folder if you want to have its content for future investigations. But from my point of view the problem is solved.

Huge Thanks for sharing Ralf!
    mike

• Marked as answer by Ralf Kornmann Tuesday, October 04, 2011 5:27 PM
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 4:57 PM
  • I have the same problem .

Last night my notebook lost power, when I start VS  in the norning,  app sample could not be loaded.

The VS send a error report automatically .

Rename extensions floder,problem is solved.

• Edited by Ice Huang Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:33 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:32 AM