none
Win 8 app to accompany desktop software - is it allowed? RRS feed

• Question

• I am making a desktop program that works with web based files to read/insert records to and from a database using json data.  Now the web (php) files and desktop program will be bundled together and when someone purchases my program they have to upload the php files to their web host in order for the desktop program to connect to it and read/insert data.  I also want to make a Windows 8 app version of the desktop program and I was wondering if this is allowed on the store?

The windows 8 app would only be useful and usable to people who have my php files on their web server so obviously anyone who just happens to find the app in the store and run it wont be able to do anything with it because they don't have the required files.  I guess its a bit like Norton Studio that is available in the store,  it's not much use if you don't have Norton products but at least a Windows 8 app is available if you get their products.

Am I making any sense at all? lol

Friday, April 26, 2013 8:01 AM

Answers

• If you clearly describe for the tester what needs to be done to get your app up and running you should not run into problems.

I would recomment to implement some kind of demo mode so that the app can run (somehow crippled for sure) without your described steps (for example just bring up the docs which shows the user what happens if you buy and do this and that)...

Friday, April 26, 2013 6:22 PM