none
SQL Azure units/usage count

Question

• Hi,

if i have created database on sql azure and if i am not using it for sometime, will usage count still get incremented ?

isn't it like "sql azure usage count is based on db transactions" ?

Thanks

Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:08 AM

Answers

• I'm afraid that's not true. It is not based on Transactions. It is based on 1) DB Size 2) Data Transfer (outbound) and if you a database sitting there (without any outbound data transfer), you would be charged based on the DB Size and in the words you used - your usage count get increment.

The Transactions are applicable for Azure Tables and Not Windows Azure SQL Database.

Paras Doshi (Blog: ParasDoshi.com | Twitter: @Paras_Doshi )

Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:28 AM
  • Example of outbound would be an application (not hosted in the same data-center as the SQL Azure) accessing your database - in this case, the data moves "out" of data-center.

SQL Azure is more than a hosted service. To give you one example, it provides scale out capabilities out of the box.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:13 PM

All replies

• I'm afraid that's not true. It is not based on Transactions. It is based on 1) DB Size 2) Data Transfer (outbound) and if you a database sitting there (without any outbound data transfer), you would be charged based on the DB Size and in the words you used - your usage count get increment.

The Transactions are applicable for Azure Tables and Not Windows Azure SQL Database.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:28 AM
  • okay, Paras.

so it means like "it is just like hosted service, we use it or not, it will increment usage count" !

what is mean by outbound ?

Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:55 AM
  • Example of outbound would be an application (not hosted in the same data-center as the SQL Azure) accessing your database - in this case, the data moves "out" of data-center.

SQL Azure is more than a hosted service. To give you one example, it provides scale out capabilities out of the box.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:13 PM