How to create a numbering navigation in a page? RRS feed

• Question

• How can i make a navigation at the bottom of page that will show 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>NEXT buttons at the bottom of the page? When clicked on any of the numbers it will open a page for that number look like this <<First <<Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>Next.

Is there a simple HTML code or any code to do this?... Or how can i do this in Expression web?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sunday, August 1, 2010 1:37 AM

Answers

• No, there is nothing in EW that will automatically do that for you. (Using a sitemap would still require you to renumber all the links when you add a new one.)

Frankly, wouldn't it be easier, and a lot friendlier for your site visitors, to name your links according to the contents, not a number? The site you gave as an example is a way *not* to do it, unless you truly expect someone to click through numbers looking for information, up to 100 of them, having no idea what page the information is on. Not very useful.

You could have your titled (not numbered) links in a DWT or server side include (if you expect lots of pages, make it a server side include, for publishing efficiency), and just add the new article, with it's descriptive name, to the top of the list in the include.  You would not have to renumber anything, since nothing is numbered.  A list of articles along the side of the page, in an overflow:scroll div if it gets long enough you want it to scroll, would make the site much easier for visitors to navigate.

Monday, August 2, 2010 1:55 AM

All replies

• Those are just links.  Create them as you would any other link.

1 2 3 4, etc., can be common on all pages (and be in a DWT for example) since they would mean the same thing on all pages, but First and Next will have to be hand created for each page since they would mean different things in each page.

Sunday, August 1, 2010 2:57 AM
  • Those kind of links are typically seen on database-driven sites, to paginate the data taken from the database.  A common example is a search engine like Google, whose results from a search are returned in a search results page, with a graphic of its logo, with added 'o's for the number of results pages "Gooooooooogle" etc, but also shows the number of pages of results and also first/last/previous/next links.

It depends on what your goal is in using such navigation to dictate how you achieve the goal - you haven't specified more than wanting those types of links.

I did a brief search in Google and came up with these results - it may be close to what you want, and methods to achieve such.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=Numbered+Pagination+HTML+pages&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Putting such a navigation feature on your site, ranges from simple, manual links creating the same way as any hyperlink, to database driven content/results which automatically paginates the data and gives you those links automatically. The data .Net controls in EW can achieve this - like the Grid view etc.   

Maybe some other members can point you to resources on using the data controls.  Clark,  a member of this group has tutorials on his website but I don't recall the address right now.

Andrew M

http://www.murraywebs.com

"Nothing spoils numbers faster than a lot of arithmetic"
    -- Peppermint Patty (Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz)
    Sunday, August 1, 2010 7:10 AM
  • The OP's question did not sound like it would be data control related.  The request was for HTML code to create numbered links to open other pages.

Of course, the OP can elaborate...

Sunday, August 1, 2010 5:32 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Kathy and Andrew.

@KathyW2:   I've thought of creating multiple pages and linked them in the numbers, But i want the new articles i post on my website to always be on the first page. If i have like 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 to 100 pages, means i will always change the hyperlinks each time i add new page since i want the new page to be the first. I thought there could be a tool in expression web that can handle that, can't i use the Navigation-siteMapPath tool in expression web to do stuff like that?

@AndrewOZ1: Thanks, I just want something to look like howtogeek.com You can see at the bottom of that page. When they add new stuff, it will become the first while the previous first move to become the second page ( I guess it's how it works ).

I found this site http://codeigniter.com/user_guide/libraries/pagination.html from the google search result page you posted, it seems to be what i want, I just have to figure out how to use it.

Thanks

Monday, August 2, 2010 1:04 AM
  • No, there is nothing in EW that will automatically do that for you. (Using a sitemap would still require you to renumber all the links when you add a new one.)

Frankly, wouldn't it be easier, and a lot friendlier for your site visitors, to name your links according to the contents, not a number? The site you gave as an example is a way *not* to do it, unless you truly expect someone to click through numbers looking for information, up to 100 of them, having no idea what page the information is on. Not very useful.

You could have your titled (not numbered) links in a DWT or server side include (if you expect lots of pages, make it a server side include, for publishing efficiency), and just add the new article, with it's descriptive name, to the top of the list in the include.  You would not have to renumber anything, since nothing is numbered.  A list of articles along the side of the page, in an overflow:scroll div if it gets long enough you want it to scroll, would make the site much easier for visitors to navigate.

Monday, August 2, 2010 1:55 AM
  • Listen to what Kathy said; it makes sense. If you want to add a little touch and make the list take up less real estate, put it into a jQuery accordion and have the most recent title visible, the rest when the accordion drops down. Just a thought...

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Monday, August 2, 2010 2:42 AM
  • Thank you very much Kathy !
    Monday, August 2, 2010 3:19 AM