none
Need to trace into library code RRS feed

• Question

• I built my library projects in one solution with pdb files and xml documentation files.

I have another solution/project that uses those libraries, and I need to trace into them, but I can't.

Using C# in VS2017 Express.

Jon Jacobs, There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary and those who don't

Friday, June 1, 2018 7:46 PM

Answers

• <blush>Well, I happened to see something while I was adding a reference. The original references to the library classes, which pointed to the actual solution where the library cllasses were developed and built ... were changed to point to the local COPY of the dll's !!!

I changed the references back to what they were before, and all is well. Mystery solved.

</blush>

Jon Jacobs, There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary and those who don't

• Marked as answer by Jon Q Jacobs Wednesday, June 6, 2018 12:09 PM
    Wednesday, June 6, 2018 12:08 PM

All replies

• I built my library projects in one solution with pdb files and xml documentation files.

I have another solution/project that uses those libraries, and I need to trace into them, but I can't.

Using C# in VS2017 Express.

You need to get VS2017 Community (free) so that you can have all projects in one solution, use project references and start debugging all project code in a single  VS 2017 Community solution.

• Proposed as answer by Dolen Zhang Monday, June 4, 2018 6:39 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Dolen Zhang Wednesday, June 6, 2018 8:58 AM
    Friday, June 1, 2018 9:43 PM
  • Maybe some settings will be necessary. 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn457346.aspx

Saturday, June 2, 2018 5:14 PM
  • My library is used by many applications in many solutions. I used to be able to do this (debug across solutions, as long as they were MY solutions on the same computer) with VS2013 Professional. I had to have a new developement computer built because the old computer was getting too flaky. I installed VS2013 Professional WITH THE LICENSE number on the new machine. It expired after 30 days as if it were a trial version (NOT!). I installed VS2017 Community (free) and it expired after 30 days. So I uninstalled it and installed VS2017 Express. The company has already paid for the VS2013 Professional license, but Microsoft apparently is not honoring it.

Monday, June 4, 2018 1:52 PM
  • I unset Just My Code in all the projexts/solutiuons, but I still cannot step into the code in the library. I used to be able to do that.

Monday, June 4, 2018 1:55 PM
  • My library is used by many applications in many solutions. I used to be able to do this (debug across solutions, as long as they were MY solutions on the same computer) with VS2013 Professional. I had to have a new developement computer built because the old computer was getting too flaky. I installed VS2013 Professional WITH THE LICENSE number on the new machine. It expired after 30 days as if it were a trial version (NOT!). I installed VS2017 Community (free) and it expired after 30 days. So I uninstalled it and installed VS2017 Express. The company has already paid for the VS2013 Professional license, but Microsoft apparently is not honoring it.

I installed VS2017 Community some 90 or more days ago. It has not expired nor has VS2015 Community either that have been on the machines for close to a year, which is being used on Win 10 Pro machines in a home environment. If you are trying to use Community in a company environment, then you may run into problems I would suspect. 

If you have valid license for VS2013 Pro, then I suggest that you get on the phone with Microsoft.

Monday, June 4, 2018 4:31 PM
  • I think that DLL, PDB files and XML Documentation do not include the sources, therefore stepping is not possible if you move these files to another computer: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/debugger/specify-symbol-dot-pdb-and-source-files-in-the-visual-studio-debugger. But if you also copy the sources, then see the “Find source files” section with regards to Solution Properties.

Monday, June 4, 2018 6:25 PM
  • >I think that DLL, PDB files and XML Documentation do not include the sources, 

The source code is right there on the same machine. In the references of the solution I am debugging, I am pointing to the solution where the library was compiled/built.

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 12:36 PM
  • <blush>Well, I happened to see something while I was adding a reference. The original references to the library classes, which pointed to the actual solution where the library cllasses were developed and built ... were changed to point to the local COPY of the dll's !!!

I changed the references back to what they were before, and all is well. Mystery solved.

</blush>

• Marked as answer by Jon Q Jacobs Wednesday, June 6, 2018 12:09 PM
    Wednesday, June 6, 2018 12:08 PM