PerformanceProgressBar not working on WP8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just upgraded my app to WP8, and it would appear that in all cases where I use the PerformanceProgressBar from the WP Toolkit, it never appears.

It continues to work on the WP7 version of my app and shows up at the top of the app. I have tried to remove and reinstall the WP Toolkit but this changed nothing.

Anyone got any clue as to what to do?

Thanks.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Are you using the September 2012 Release of Windows Phone Toolkit?

According to some internal mail I received, the PerformanceProgressBar was removed from it, but may be adding it back again, for backward compatibility. You can check the source for it to confirm.

-Mark

Mark Chamberlain Sr. Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Developer Support | Windows Phone 8

Thursday, January 3, 2013 9:17 PM
  • In WP8, just use the standard ProgressBar. PerformanceProgressBar is already built into it.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpdevelop/thread/9270c3db-3e30-4bdf-be83-ea508853030c

Friday, January 4, 2013 2:44 AM
  • I was trying to recompile my wp7 app on VS2012 hoping that I could settle on one IDE. But, using the "current" toolkits.

Now that performanceprogressbar is gone, I wonder if the "new(?)"progress bar -when targeting WP 7.1- will have performance issues or not. What is y'all take on this?

By taking that route, would simplify sharing code between WP 7.1 and 8.

Sunday, January 6, 2013 6:41 AM
  • Now that performanceprogressbar is gone, I wonder if the "new(?)"progress bar -when targeting WP 7.1- will have performance issues or not.

The 7.1 SDK hasn't changed, and 7.1 does not have a new ProgressBar. PerformanceProgressBar is not gone from the 7.1 version of the Toolkit. You should continue to use PerformanceProgressBar when targeting WP7.

Mark's comment that they are considering adding a PerformanceProgressBar to the WP8 Toolkit is exactly to address the situation you mention. It would be for backward compatibility reasons, to allow WP7 and WP8 projects to share code (allow both to refer to toolkit:PerformanceProgressBar). However, for now you should use ProgressBar for WP8 and toolkit:PerformanceProgressBar for WP7.

Richard Woo
    Sunday, January 6, 2013 8:51 AM
  • Yeah, my issue like your answer was twofold (stealthily) referring to botht the Toolkit and the SDK. I did see the blog post mentioning the removal after I posted my question.

For anyone's reference and/or detail: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zxue/archive/2012/10/30/windows-phone-toolkit.aspx.

Still, I was kind of hoping that the October release of the Toolkit had kind of "dual personality" of sorts for both targets. Clearly it works with WP7 but as just one code base with the new features/restrictions/behaviour for both targets.

Alright, have a good week everyone.

Monday, January 7, 2013 5:17 PM
  • I upgraded my project from WP7 to WP8 and the I'm using <ProgressBar IsIndeterminate="True"/> but all I get is one dot displayed. It seems like it's still using the Toolkit version. Any help on how to fix this? Do I need to uninstall the Toolkit package?
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:13 PM
  • When you upgrade a project from WP7 to WP8, you should also update the Toolkit. Delete the Toolkit from the References folder, then reinstall the Toolkit using NuGet. If you are unfamiliar with NuGet, see the instructions here.
    Richard Woo
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:07 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Richard. I found the problem was because I had my own copy of CustomThemeResources which had a WP7 definition of ProgressBar. I removed it and it works.
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:09 AM