locked
Metro style app links to static lib, 0xc0000135 on start up

    Question

  • I'm porting some old code to metro style apps and run into this strange problem. There are the DX11 Renderer project as a static lib, and the metro style Application project, all with Win32 Debug configuration, Renderer project is pure C++ without CLR and WinRT support, Application project, of course, with tailored features and WinRT extension enabled. When I call some of the methods from the app project, the application get a 0xc000135 error once it starts up. while calling other methods is OK... it's like:

    //App.vcxproj/main.cpp

    Renderer::Foo0(); // without problem

    and

    //App.vcxproj/main.cpp

    Renderer::Foo1(); // On start up it gets:

    'TestApp.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\xxxxxxx\AppxLayouts\50ceb9d5-b2c8-441e-a923-f80d4a5ad05eVS.Debug.Win32.xxxxxxx\TestApp.exe'. Symbols loaded.
    'TestApp.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'TestApp.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'TestApp.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'TestApp.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\vccorlib110.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'TestApp.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\combase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'TestApp.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Applications\microsoft.vclibs.110.debug_11.0.0.0_x86_neutral_8wekyb3d8bbwe\msvcp110d.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'TestApp.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Applications\microsoft.vclibs.110.debug_11.0.0.0_x86_neutral_8wekyb3d8bbwe\msvcr110d.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'TestApp.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\d2d1.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'TestApp.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\DWrite.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'TestApp.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\d3d11.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    The thread 0x1d84 has exited with code -1073741515 (0xc0000135).
    The program '[6260] TestApp.exe' has exited with code -1073741515 (0xc0000135).

    The general reason for this error, from googling, seems to be missing of .Net framework. But I didn't use .net features in the app, also when I try to install .Net 4.0 it tells that a same or newer version is already been installed ( with the win8 preview system ).

    Since it fails at loading time and I cannot even get any more debug information, it is too difficult to figure out what's wrong. Anyone have come into a similar situation or have any suggestions on how this could be traced and debugged? Thanks!

    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 5:53 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Sorry... I didn't see Steve 'Sly' Williams thread that had the very same problem. But removing d3dx11.lib from my project seems not working. Still reporting the same problem.
    Wondering if there's a general tracking method that could figure out where it fails.

    • Edited by labratwin32 Tuesday, November 22, 2011 6:39 PM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 6:38 PM
  • Hahahaha, problem solved, it's missing another dll "d3dcompiler_44.dll". Copying it from windows kit's bin folder to system folder and it works!
    Got the answer from another thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/a418efd7-a398-4c37-b4ce-e4527765e79a
    • Marked as answer by labratwin32 Tuesday, November 22, 2011 6:54 PM
    • Edited by labratwin32 Tuesday, November 22, 2011 6:55 PM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 6:54 PM
  • Btw, packaging that DLL along with your app will also work.
    Raman Sharma | Program Manager, Visual C++ | @rasharm_msft

    (if my post has answered your question, please consider using the 'mark as answer' feature in the forums to help others)
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:23 PM