rule->Code generation RRS feed

• Question

• there is a rule engine ILOG rules for.net which can create c# code from the rule created in it to improve the performance at runtime.

Do we have some other rule engine which has this kind of feature.

Also do workflow engines (like K2 etc) has the same kind of feature.If yes ,please name a few

Tic

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 12:16 PM

All replies

• The question is - is this really an important feature?  maybe a rule engine that doesn't have code generation outperforms the one that has it? how would you know?

In my opinion a better way to compare performance would be to define a Proof of Concept that simulates some of the rules you are going to have in your solution(s) (e.g. in terms of complexity) as well as the evaluation loads you are expecting and then use that as a basis to evaluate the different engines.

Arnon

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 11:27 PM
  • Hi Arnon,

Thanks for your suggestions.I will definitily use the simulation to get the resutls for a same set of rules processed from different rule engines.

But i still think that a C# code generated by ILog will be faster compared to ILOG xml for ruleset as C3 code will be compiled one while the xml will be interprated one.

Some question arises for windows workflow which allows to write either code or XML.

Please provide your views on the above

regards

Tic

Thursday, March 30, 2006 7:28 AM
  •  Tic wrote:

But i still think that a C# code generated by ILog will be faster compared to ILOG xml for ruleset as C3 code will be compiled one while the xml will be interprated one.

Not necessarily it may only out perform the XML version in the first evaluation – but depending on the way the engine is implemented it can level out later (consider for example, for C# itself  the difference between MSIL and NGENed code)

Arnon

Saturday, April 1, 2006 7:44 AM