Calculating the downtime values RRS feed

• Question

• HI

i have 4 fields in the databse called 'DATE_IN','TIME_IN', 'DATE_OUT','TIME_OUT'

The DATE_IN gives the date of a vehicles' entry in a workshop and the TIME_IN gives the time of the entry.

The DATE_OUT gives the date of the vehicles' exit from the workshop and the TIME_OUT gives the time of the exit.

These all are stored as a string like'20090401' for the date 01/04/2009 and '210000' for 9 pm of the time.

What i want to claculate is the total time of the vehicle on the workshop between the two dates' parameters @report_start_date and @report_end_date. The condition is, if a vehicle is for 2 workshop jobs like

01/04/2009 11 am to 1 pm for job 1

01/04/2009 from 11:30 am to  02/04/2009 2:30 PM  for job 2.....

i should calculate only the total hours from 11 am 01/04/2009 to 2.30 pm 02/04/2009 i.e 27:30 hrs (not 2 hrs+ 27 hrs of both jobs)  if those transactions fall within the @report_start_date and @report_end_date for that vehicle as a single column.......any idea plz

Monday, March 29, 2010 2:28 AM

Answers

• ;with cte as (cast(stuff(stuff(DateIn,5,0,'-'),8,0,'-') + ' ' + stuff(stuff(TimeIn,3,0,':'),6,0,':') as datetime) as DateIn,
    cast(stuff(stuff(DateOut,5,0,'-'),8,0,'-') + ' ' + stuff(stuff(TimeOut,3,0,':'),6,0,':') as datetime) as DateOut from myTable),

cte1 as (select * from cte where DateIn <=@Report_End_Date and DateOut >= @Report_Start_Date)

select DateIn, DateOut, 
    replace(convert(varchar(8),
                    dateadd(MINUTE,
                    datediff(MINUTE,
                        DateIn,
                        DateOut
                        ), 0
                    ), 108), ':', '') from cte1

Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Monday, March 29, 2010 2:38 AM
  • things will be much easier if you can store your date & time in datetime data type rather than string

declare @sample table
    (
        VEHICLE_ID    int,
        JOB_ID        int,
        DATE_IN        varchar(8),
        TIME_IN        varchar(8),
        DATE_OUT    varchar(8),
        TIME_OUT    varchar(8)
    )

insert into @sample
    select    1, 1, '20090401', '110000', NULL, NULL    union all
    select    1, 2, '20090401', '113000', '20090402', '143000'

; with data
    as
    (
        select    VEHICLE_ID, JOB_ID,
            DT_IN    = convert(datetime, DATE_IN + ' ' + stuff(stuff(TIME_IN, 3, 0, ':'), 6, 0, ':')),
            DT_OUT    = convert(datetime, DATE_OUT + ' ' + stuff(stuff(TIME_OUT, 3, 0, ':'), 6, 0, ':'))
        from    @sample
    )
    select    VEHICLE_ID,
        TIME_HOUR = datediff(minute, min(DT_IN), max(DT_OUT)) / 60.0
    from    data
    group by VEHICLE_ID

KH Tan
    Monday, March 29, 2010 2:48 AM

All replies

• ;with cte as (cast(stuff(stuff(DateIn,5,0,'-'),8,0,'-') + ' ' + stuff(stuff(TimeIn,3,0,':'),6,0,':') as datetime) as DateIn,
    cast(stuff(stuff(DateOut,5,0,'-'),8,0,'-') + ' ' + stuff(stuff(TimeOut,3,0,':'),6,0,':') as datetime) as DateOut from myTable),

cte1 as (select * from cte where DateIn <=@Report_End_Date and DateOut >= @Report_Start_Date)

select DateIn, DateOut, 
    replace(convert(varchar(8),
                    dateadd(MINUTE,
                    datediff(MINUTE,
                        DateIn,
                        DateOut
                        ), 0
                    ), 108), ':', '') from cte1

Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

My blog
    Monday, March 29, 2010 2:38 AM
  • things will be much easier if you can store your date & time in datetime data type rather than string

declare @sample table
    (
        VEHICLE_ID    int,
        JOB_ID        int,
        DATE_IN        varchar(8),
        TIME_IN        varchar(8),
        DATE_OUT    varchar(8),
        TIME_OUT    varchar(8)
    )

insert into @sample
    select    1, 1, '20090401', '110000', NULL, NULL    union all
    select    1, 2, '20090401', '113000', '20090402', '143000'

; with data
    as
    (
        select    VEHICLE_ID, JOB_ID,
            DT_IN    = convert(datetime, DATE_IN + ' ' + stuff(stuff(TIME_IN, 3, 0, ':'), 6, 0, ':')),
            DT_OUT    = convert(datetime, DATE_OUT + ' ' + stuff(stuff(TIME_OUT, 3, 0, ':'), 6, 0, ':'))
        from    @sample
    )
    select    VEHICLE_ID,
        TIME_HOUR = datediff(minute, min(DT_IN), max(DT_OUT)) / 60.0
    from    data
    group by VEHICLE_ID

KH Tan
    Monday, March 29, 2010 2:48 AM
  • CREATE PROCEDURE [Ausfleet_user].[SP_RPT_DOWNTIME_ANALYSIS]

@START_DATE VARCHAR(50),
    	@END_DATE VARCHAR(50)
    AS
    BEGIN

DECLARE @V_END_DATE DATE_CHAR,
    			@V_START_DATE DATE_CHAR

--Convert start date from format dd/mm/yyyy to yyyymmdd
    	SET @V_START_DATE = SUBSTRING(@START_DATE, 7,4) + SUBSTRING(@START_DATE,4, 2) + SUBSTRING(@START_DATE, 1,2)
    		 --Convert end Date from format dd/mm/yyyy to yyyymmdd
    	SET @V_END_DATE = SUBSTRING(@END_DATE, 7,4) + SUBSTRING(@END_DATE,4, 2) + SUBSTRING(@END_DATE, 1,2)
    END

i HAVE POSTED MY STORED PROCEDURE ABOVE WHERE THE 4 FILEDS I HAVE DESCRIBED EARLIER ARE FROM THE TABLE

AUSFLEET_USER

.WSP_WORKSHOP_TRANSACTION

Monday, March 29, 2010 2:58 AM
  • In above post,

I have done the conversion of the date to match it with the format the user enters the date here in australia i.e dd/mm/yyyy.

what i have missed there is the select statement to get the results from the table

AUSFLEET_USER.WSP_WORKSHOP_TRANSACTION WHICH CONTAINS ALL THE DATE_IN, DATE_OUT, TIME_IN, TIME_OUT FIELDS AS THE CHARACTER STRING....

I THINK THIS IS MORE CLEAR OF MY PROBLEM

Monday, March 29, 2010 3:06 AM
  • Read the replies you already got and don't play with substring when it's not needed.

My blog
    Monday, March 29, 2010 3:08 AM