Project Wizard Extension without using GAC or IDE probing path RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've read several posts on how to create project/item wizard extension but none of them answered my question. Is it possible to refer an assembly that isn't in the GAC or in the IDE's probing path?

The closest information I got was on this thread:

Item template Wizard Extension without using GAC to get public key

It says that "If the wizard assembly lives outside the IDE's probing path, then you need to specify the fully qualified path name in the <Assembly> tag, and the assembly must be strong named."

It doesn't say what the "fully qualified path name" should look like in the <Assembly> tag, so I added something like this to my vstemplate:

<WizardExtension>
     <Assembly>C:\SomePath\Wizard.dll</Assembly>
     <FullClassName>Wizard.Class1</FullClassName>
    </WizardExtension>

It gave me this error:

Error: this template attempted to load an untrusted component 'C:\SomePath\Wizard.dll'. For more information on this problem and how to enable this template, please see documentation on Customizing Projet Templates.

So the question is: is it possible to refer an assembly in a network folder from the Assmbly tag in the vstemplate? What would the syntax look like?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:31 PM

All replies

• Hi PhilDulac,

Thanks for your post.

As far as I know, if you don't expect to GAC the assembly,

the only local place qualified to put the wizard assembly is

Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies

Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies

Network folder or others are untrusted.

If anything is not clear, be free to let me know.

Ziwei Chen [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 6:54 AM
  • By creating a VSIX project you can include a Wizard along with the template.

The wizard must be embedded in the ProjectTemplates folder.

That way you do not have to strong name or install in the GAC.

Friday, July 25, 2014 2:34 PM
  • Liz is correct. You can deploy the wizard template and the wizard assembly with a .VSIX file. I have a walkthrough that details how to do this on the VSX Aracana blog.

Creating a VSIX Deployable Project (or Item) Template with Custom Wizard Support

As a side note, you should not have to install your extensions or wizards in the GAC. Unless you have specific need of the GAC, such as a shared set of assemblies used by multiple applications, the GAC ought be avoided. Requiring an assembly to be placed in the GAC will require you to author a custom setup (MSI) to deploy your extension.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Saturday, July 26, 2014 7:21 AM