The specified Network Name no longer exists RRS feed

• Question

• When more than one client tries to upload a file to one of the DFS shares on our 2008 R2 file servers, the current session gets terminated as the new one resumes and the message "ERROR COPYING FILE (The specified network name no longer exists)" displays. 

Now its taken an age to establish this much (knowing what the problem is).  I am just unsure how to resolve it.

server 2008 uses SMB2 protocol when transferring files via webDAV or mapped drives etc..   Connecting to a server through a NAT gateway is  problematic, since the NAT makes multiple clients appear to be a single client by placing them all behind the same IP address.

Has anyone else seen this before? Apart from advising users to upload one at a time, can anyone offer any Advice or workaround? 

Kind Regards djsd
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:18 PM

All replies

• Fair enough..

So we know that the latest filesharing protocol on MS Server 2008 R2 does not function very well with clients which connect through a NAT'd gateway. 

I have since upgraded the line in our regional offcie to a more expensive 1:1 line which does not use NAT.  (This Works)

I just want to know if there is a way to reconfigure the SMB2 protocol? Maybe a reg key of some sort? 

Any advice would be appreciated!! 

Kind Regards djsd
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 9:20 AM