none
function or formula that will automatically update a task’s status RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a function or formula that will automatically update a task’s status (Upcoming, Complete, Late) based on the task’s start and finish dates?  The following represents the columns currently being used:  Task Status, Task Name, Start, Finish, Processors, Actual Start, Actual Finish, Duration, % Complete, Resource Name.  I am using Microsoft Project 2010 and new to the application.  Comments, suggestions, etc. are welcomed and detail instructions or resources are appreciated.  Thank you.

Saturday, October 19, 2013 7:59 PM

All replies

• 2cmr8,

The only function that is applicable is called Update Project found in the Status group of the Project ribbon tab. It will allow you to set a percent complete for all tasks or just selected tasks up to a given date selected by the user. It will also allow you to reschedule uncompleted work from a new date, again selected by the user. However, it does take into account all the variables in a living schedule that can only be adequately addressed by the project manager in conjunction with the task performers. It's called managing the project and there isn't any automated intelligence in Project that can do that.

Unless your project is level-of-effort or based on the simple passage of time, I would avoid the temptation to use something that automatically "updates" your project. My opinion of course.

John

Saturday, October 19, 2013 8:35 PM
  • If you want a column with the message Upcoming, Complete, Late then you need to create a formula in a Text field such as Text1. Try the following formula to get to started:

IIf([Scheduled Start]>[Baseline Start],"Late",IIf([% Complete]=100,"Complete",IIf([Scheduled Start]-Date()<=14,"Upcoming","")))

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Sunday, October 20, 2013 8:08 PM
  • Just confirming if you are aware of a built-in task level "Status" field which automatically updates the status based on %complete, start & finish dates.

• Edited by Hammad Arif Monday, October 21, 2013 1:25 AM
    Monday, October 21, 2013 1:25 AM
  • Thank you for the response and insight on other variables, which I did not consider.  Are there any "auto functionality" you have found useful?
    Monday, October 21, 2013 10:50 PM
  • Thank you Mr. Gill and I will try and let you know how it works.
    Monday, October 21, 2013 10:51 PM
  • I did read on that, but I do not believe it is currently being used.  I will check on that.  Thank you Mr. Arif.
    Monday, October 21, 2013 10:53 PM
  • 2cmr8,

After I read Rod's response I begin to think that perhaps I misinterpreted what you were asking. I assumed you were looking for some automated process for updating your schedule (i.e. claiming progress). I'm not sure what you mean by "auto functionality", please explain.

Remember that Project is just a tool and has zero intelligence so it cannot make decisions. There are some features, like the Update Project function and there is also a Leveling function to help alleviate overallocation of resources but again, there is no intelligence behind those automated functions and if used indiscriminately by the user, the whole schedule plan can fall apart in short order. It's kind of like driving off a cliff because your GPS told you that was the shortest route.

John

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:56 AM