locked
same old error, still no solution - The server network address "TCP://servername.fqdn.com:5022" can not be reached or does not exist. RRS feed

  • Question

  • when I try to establish mirroring I get the same, bogus error messages that I get almost every time I try mirroring setup. Usually I am able to fiddle enough with tcp settings to 'force' the fqdn by adding a DNS suffix, but not this time.  The reason I say this is bogus is because the servers are available.  It's much like the 'General Network Error'  error - useless in most cases.  I've even experienced this error on servers where mirroring has already been established, which would be impossible if the error messages were describing the real error.

     I've tried this on SQL 2005, SQL 2008, Standard Edition, Enterprise, Developer , windows 2003, windows 2008 and rarely am I able to get ths to work the first time I try.   (I"m using same edition for principal and mirror - I'm just trying to point out that the issue is unlikely due to the obvious.


    DBA
    Monday, March 30, 2009 6:59 PM

All replies

  • Are these servers in an Active Directory domain? If not, I'd probably tweak your host file to include the hostnames of your SQL Server instances and configure database mirroring using certificates

    Implementing Database Mirroring in SQL Server 2005 across domains
    http://mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1705


    bass_player http://bassplayerdoc.blogspot.com/
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 12:43 AM
  • Thanks for the response.  I think you're onto something here, as we've had some trouble with delegation in our environment, but after three hours of other 'tweaking' I got this to work, which is what is so annoying.  This has happened to me serveral times where it seems out of nowhere, something just clicks.  And I mean that quite literally.  I decided to try asychronous mode so from the GUI I just 'clicked' that option and the window closed - then VOILA it was mirrored and sync'd.   Then I went back to check the mode and guess what?  It was set back to safe.    So once again, I have no idea what it was that fixed this. 

    However there is one interesing thing to note.  In one of my many retry attempts I backed up the database and log again but got an error that the database was in simple recovery mode (my own fault - there is a job that changes this on our dev boxes and I forgot to disable it).  Funny that I didn't get that error when issuing the ALTER DATABASE SET PARTNER command - instead I got 'servername cannot be reached'.   However even after fixing this I was still getting this error time after time.

    Next time I run into this the first thing I'll do is use certificates.

    Colleen
    DBA
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:25 PM