none
Using Kinect to take measurement RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I'm new in these wanderings. I am exploring the SDK and I have a little doubt. Is it possible to use this system to measure eg the distance between a hand and the ground? Measure the distance from one shoulder to the other? Measure the height of a person? 

Thanks for the help.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:35 PM

Answers

• The depth stream output by kinect is not meant for precise measurements, but it is accurate to approx 1-5 cm depending on how far the measured object is from camera. So it isn't perfect, but you should be able to use it for the kinds of metrics that you mention above if you're mostly looking for a reasonable ballpark measurement.

Eddy

I'm here to help
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:28 PM

All replies

• The depth stream output by kinect is not meant for precise measurements, but it is accurate to approx 1-5 cm depending on how far the measured object is from camera. So it isn't perfect, but you should be able to use it for the kinds of metrics that you mention above if you're mostly looking for a reasonable ballpark measurement.

Eddy

I'm here to help
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:28 PM
  • I think that this accuracy is fine for the use that I want. 

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:25 AM
  • Hi Eddy,

It seems like you know what you are talking about!  Do you know if Kinect is or could be used for anthropometric measurements by physicians or whether the kinect for windows software could be adapted to allow for more accurate/precise measurements?  Also, can you use Kinect to take any measurement within the body, such as a small measurement (i.e length of finger)?  Thanks for any info you can provide!

Elizabeth

Thursday, December 1, 2011 7:29 PM
  • Hi, Elizabeth,

Here the answer to your question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MwS_nk9n2A

Dmitriy.

• Proposed as answer by FlamerD Friday, December 16, 2011 6:30 PM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 10:20 AM