none
How to transfer a VS 2012 application to another PC

Answers

• My application is VB and I am using VS 2015 Professional.  On my screen after ANY CPU (to the right) I do not have a START option. I have (drop down panel) with options MICROSOFT EDGE, AOL SOFTWARE, GOOGLE INTERNET EXPLORER, AND BROWSE WITH.

On my old VS 2012 Professional I had LAUNCH to start my application.

After farther checking:

Now I have it, there is not a start or launch on vs 2015.  I had to use DEBUG and chose Start without debugging to run my Vb PROJECT.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.  I appreciate all the help everyone have give me.

Edcal

Tuesday, August 02, 2016 5:39 PM
  • Hi Edward,

Glad to hear you have had your issue resolved. And thanks for sharing us your solution and result here.

If you think Konrad's reply is helpful, please mark his reply or your reply as the answer, it will benefit to other community members who have the same issue. It will be easier for them to search the solution.

Have a nice day:)

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016 1:55 AM

All replies

• I have a VS 2012 application running on another PC and I would like to transfer the complete VS 2012 application to another PC that have VS 2015. How can I do this? If I can attachment it to an email, what file do I attach?
    Sunday, July 31, 2016 3:17 PM
  • If you want to transfer the source files, that currently are compiled in Visual Studio 2012, then the easy way is to transfer the folder that contain the solution file (.sln), including all of the subfolders and files. It can be archived to have a single smaller e-mail attachment. Some of unneeded files can be excluded executing “Clean” command in Visual Studio. After copying to target machine, open the solution file in Visual Studio 2015.

If you want to transfer the program without source files, then you have to move at least the executable (.exe), and maybe some other files from the same folder. It depends on application. Not all of the programs can be copied; some of them need a special installation. Try sending the .exe file and see if it works.

Show some details about your case. Which folder and files do you want to transfer?

Sunday, July 31, 2016 3:48 PM
  • Hi,

in addition to Viorels great reply:

If your systems are online then I would use some kind of source control. VSTS is available for free and could be a great solution to keep your sources at a central location if you do not want to share the code. If you want to create some Open Source project then you could check out sites like codeplex, sourceforge or github.

Then you get a copy on each system on which you want to work on the sources and then you check in any changes. Other systems should do a "Get latest Changes" to get all changes that was checked in till the last time.

That way even multiple people could work on the sources at the same time.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Sunday, July 31, 2016 4:16 PM
  • The easiest way is to compile using the /MT switch. This way, the runtime support code becomes incorporated into the executable itself, and then you merely have to copy the *.exe to the target computer.
    Sunday, July 31, 2016 5:23 PM
  • How do I locate the folder of  the (.sin) solution file, and how to I determined the subfolders and files? 

Sunday, July 31, 2016 5:26 PM
  • I hope you appreciate how annoying it is to answer a post, only to find another identical post by the same poster with descriptive answers found elsewhere. This is considered very bad netiquette.

Your other post with answers

Sunday, July 31, 2016 5:27 PM
  • Hi,

you should know where you locate your project. When creating a project, you have to give the location. And when opening it, you can also see the path inside the file picker.

The default directory is inside your Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects folder. (Or Visual Studio 2015 on the other system.) But the location can be everywhere - so for example I tend to use c:\Projects\<source control system\ for projects. So it is a personal favour where you want to put it.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Sunday, July 31, 2016 6:35 PM
  • I agree that it is a little annoying because there was already some replies in his other thread and it was even in the same forum.

But I merged both threads so it is only one thread with all replies now.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Sunday, July 31, 2016 6:38 PM
  • I need help.

What I have done to copy a VS 2012 Prof application to another PC using VS 2015 Prof. :

My two  Pcs are not sharing data.

On the Source PC

(1) I created a folder on my source PC name OTHER PC PROJECTS.

(2) Copied C:\users\owner\documents\visual studio 2012\PROJECTS to folder OTHER PC PROJECTS

(3) Copy OTHER PC PROJECTS folder to a CD

What I have done on the Target PC;

(1) CopyOTHER PC PROJECTS folder to C:\users\edward\documents\visual studio 2015\ PROJECTS.

(2) Rebooted the target PC

When I start my VS 2015 I was expecting to see the applications on the left side of the panel like it shows on the VS 2012 panel, but I see nothing.  I am new on VS 2015 so may be I am supposed to click something to see my application on the VS 2015.   There is a write on how to do this when the two PC are sharing data but I am not sharing data.  I need help. 

Edcal

Monday, August 01, 2016 3:47 PM
  • Hi,

Visual Studio (Start Page) only shows the projects that you opened recently. But since it is a fresh install, nothing is shown so far.

You can open a project through the File menu. Just open the File menu and choose Open and then Project / Solution ... which will open a file browser dialog.

That way you can open any project on the file system.

There is one point that you might want to check: Check the properties of the copied files / directories. You copied them using a CD but CDs are read only. So it is possible that the files got the read only flag when you copied the files to the other system. (I remember that I had such a problem in the past.) 

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, August 01, 2016 3:55 PM
  • Konrad, thanks you are leading me in the right direction.  One more question.

(1) In VS 2012 Prof, to  start a application I clickLaunch.   How to you start a application in VS 2015 Prof?  I can not seam to find a Launch or Start button.  I did a help in VS 2015 but got no help.

Edcal

Monday, August 01, 2016 5:27 PM
  • Hi Edcal,

Could you please tell us what is your application type?

>>I can not seam to find a Launch or Start button

Do you mean that if you would like to build the project but can't find the build button?

I create a C# winform application, here is the screenshot about Start button:

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016 8:23 AM
  • My application is VB and I am using VS 2015 Professional.  On my screen after ANY CPU (to the right) I do not have a START option. I have (drop down panel) with options MICROSOFT EDGE, AOL SOFTWARE, GOOGLE INTERNET EXPLORER, AND BROWSE WITH.

On my old VS 2012 Professional I had LAUNCH to start my application.

After farther checking:

Now I have it, there is not a start or launch on vs 2015.  I had to use DEBUG and chose Start without debugging to run my Vb PROJECT.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.  I appreciate all the help everyone have give me.

Edcal

Tuesday, August 02, 2016 5:39 PM
  • Hi Edward,

Glad to hear you have had your issue resolved. And thanks for sharing us your solution and result here.

If you think Konrad's reply is helpful, please mark his reply or your reply as the answer, it will benefit to other community members who have the same issue. It will be easier for them to search the solution.

Have a nice day:)

Best Regards,

Wednesday, August 03, 2016 1:55 AM