none
Error moving from VS 2013 to VS 2015

Question

• I'm fairly new to programming and taking over a program that was originally written in 2010, migrated to 2013, and I'm trying to move to 2015. I've successfully moved similar applications to 2015 just by opening the App in 2015, doing a clean, rebuild - and I'm set. For this specific application, I'm able to build and run the application without issue. However, specific forms will not open - all with the same error:

"Could not find type '<App>.<DataSource>.<SP_SelectTableAdapater>'. Please make sure that the assembly that contains this type is referenced. If this type is part of your development project, make sure that the project has been successfully built using settings for your current platform or Any CPU.

Instances of this error (1)
    1. There is no stack trace or error line information available for this error.

Help with this error
    Could not find an associated help topic for this error. Check Windows Forms Design-Time error list
    "

The SP will vary, depending on the form - but the error is the same. I'm able to browse through the DataSource and find the SP and the SelectTableAdapter, preview data and it works. If I go to the code where it references the error, it doesn't identify any issues (in fact, it auto-populates the code if I try to recreate it). If I close the app and open it in Visual Studio 2013 - it works fine (forms open as normal).  I've checked all the project settings (frame work, namespaces, etc) - everything is identical between 2013 and 2015. Any help/guidance is most appreciated.

Thank you!

Thursday, September 08, 2016 12:46 PM

Answers

• I downloaded VS 17RC in hopes that the issue would be fixed there, but it wasn't. However, I found a solution.

I removed the offending DataSource and then recreated it within Visual Studio 17RC. I then cleaned/built the project and the form was able to open without issue.

Monday, November 28, 2016 2:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Matt,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

Firstly, to exclude if the cause is related to your VS 2015, how about changing another machine with VS 2015 to open this program.

If it works fine , it indicates that your previous VS might miss some dlls or packages, try to repair it via Control Panel.

If the program still persists, there may be compatibility problem of this program between the VS 2013 and 2015.

In this situation, you could share your program with us, we could do test for your to check the detailed missing reference.

Or you could create a brand new project the same type as the program, then copy the source files and code to it, build again to see if it could run smoothly.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, September 09, 2016 7:39 AM
  • Lana-

Thank you so much for your reply - this fell of my things to do until late last week and I checked back here to see if I had a response.

I installed VS2015 on a new computer. I had some initial success - one form opened perfectly. We tried a second and the same error popped up. So it's not limited to my PC.

I did try a repair as well as the most recent patches for Visual Studio 2015 - still get the error.

What is the best way to share the program with you? It's large (2G+). The primary solution contains a dozen or so projects, one in particular I'm having issues with.

Thanks again and sorry for the delay in responding.

-matt

Monday, October 17, 2016 9:03 PM
  • I downloaded VS 17RC in hopes that the issue would be fixed there, but it wasn't. However, I found a solution.

I removed the offending DataSource and then recreated it within Visual Studio 17RC. I then cleaned/built the project and the form was able to open without issue.

Monday, November 28, 2016 2:58 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Glad to hear you have had your issue resolved. And thanks for sharing us your result here.

Have a nice day:)

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 9:24 AM