PWSK issues RRS feed

• Question

• User1213822789 posted
    I;ve been tinkering with this kit for a while now. I'm having trouble with it since i 1st installed it. I configured my web.config: (connectionStrings> (remove name="LocalSqlServer" /> (add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=localhost;initial catalog = Personal;integrated security=true " providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" /> (add name="PersonalConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=LIGHT\LIGHTNING;Initial Catalog=Personal;Integrated Security=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" /> (/connectionStrings> and when i run Default.aspx, i get this: Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Source Error: Line 191: Line 192: Public Shared Function GetRandomAlbumID() As Integer Line 193: Using connection As New SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings("Personal").ConnectionString) Line 194: Using command As New SqlCommand("GetNonEmptyAlbums", connection) Line 195: command.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure Source File: C:\Users\LIGHTNING\Documents\Programming\PersonalWebSite2\App_Code\PhotoManager.vb Line: 193 Stack Trace: [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.] PhotoManager.GetRandomAlbumID() in C:\Users\LIGHTNING\Documents\Programming\PersonalWebSite2\App_Code\PhotoManager.vb:193 PhotoManager.GetPhotos() in C:\Users\LIGHTNING\Documents\Programming\PersonalWebSite2\App_Code\PhotoManager.vb:93
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 9:04 AM

All replies

• User1275632693 posted

And your question is?

Sorry that you are having issues with this kit, but there are so many threads that go over the issues people have had over the years, perhaps you can search the forums for questions that may have already answered the same issue as you are experiencing.

Best of luck to you

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 11:36 AM
  • User1213822789 posted
    well the question is what am i doing wrong, based on the above errors:D
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 12:07 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Are you hosting the site or do you have it running on your machine at home?

If you are running it on your home machine, which vs of Windows and do you have IIS running on it and also which version of SQL server

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 2:20 PM
  • User1213822789 posted
    thanks for repaying; im using iis7, yes im trying to run it on my home machinve (vista ultimate sp1) sql 2008 / ms visual studio 2008 This occured like this: I donwloaded the kit, changed the web.config and then "preview in browser" on default.aspx
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 2:41 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

did you follow some of the preliminary steps like running aspregnet and running the CTL F5 from the VS menu ?

There was  a girl on this kit that had a great site with step by step how to instructions...

Let me see if I can find her site and I will post it here for you.

Edit: .

Here is the site I mentioned earlier in the post:

http://www.edream.org/BlogArticle.aspx?RecordID=115

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 2:43 PM
  • User1213822789 posted
    yes, i did run aspregnet, well ill take a look at that guide. Thanks a lot, will reply soon if it worked.
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 2:55 PM
  • User1213822789 posted
    I downloaded http://www.jeremywadsworth.com/ 's kit and its all ok now:)
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:40 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Congrats, now you can contribute too... try to extend the extended kit.

:)

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:55 AM