none
HandState error in 1408 1409 SDK, please check! RRS feed

Answers

• I have fixed my issue with version v2.0_1409 of the SDK .

The issue was due to the graphics card driver. I uninstalled the OEM driver and downloaded the professional driver from the manufacturer website (NVIDIA). Now HandState is working. Make sure your driver is up to date and that you have the driver from the manufacturer instead of the standard one installed by Windows.

Thursday, April 2, 2015 4:31 PM

All replies

• HandState is only valid for 2 tracked people. Once you have the tracking id for the person, you can override it with  the selected tracking id.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b78a739a-0b06-4344-9dd0-a5c321d7e3f4/how-to-set-bodies-to-hand-tracking?forum=kinectv2sdk

If you have done that and the states are still not stable, this is going to be due to the way the tech works. It is a per frame state, so you need to filter the data. Camera setup and environment are going to be key factors in ensure the data is clean for the pipeline. This thread goes into this in more detail:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4ebc1cb6-694f-45d4-9e8a-36d63c8feec1/bodyhandleftstate-handstate-false-positives?forum=kinectv2sdk

I am also assuming that body tracking is stable and you have made sure your system and drivers are up to date as well(latest NVidia GPU drivers).

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, October 13, 2014 5:10 PM
  • The problem is that even the kinect Studio cannot get the HandState, which always shows a gray circle around the hand instead of the green for Lasso and red for fist.

As for the first version of the preview SDK in July, it works fine... Should I always use that SDK without updating it... I don't think my PC has any problem that lead to this failure.

Thursday, October 23, 2014 3:58 AM
  • The screenshot of the KS is the latest one released last night.

Could you help me? Or I have to change to another PC... I have only one.

My PC is Lenovo T440s. 8G ram, Nvidia is GeForce GT 730M, which should be superior to the minimum requirements for hosting a Kinect v2
    • Edited by Bruce Yo Thursday, October 23, 2014 4:04 AM Add the host info
    Thursday, October 23, 2014 4:00 AM
  • What does your IR feed look like? You are looking at one frame, in the overall 30fps what is the hand state values you are getting? Kinect Studio is completely stateless, so depending how you recorded the clip the joints/hand states will be different every time based on how you are starting your playback.

You need to cover the sensor and then start the recording. When you playback, you always start at the beginning to ensure you are providing the pipeline the same frames every time. The will give you a base to start from.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:54 PM
  • Were you able to solve this issue. I am using version v2.0_1409 of the SDK and I have the same issue. Neither the Body-Basics sample application or Kinect-Studio is able to recognize the hand state.

Can any Microsoft rep verify that the HandState API is still valid for this release?

Just to clarify that what I am doing is the following:

- getting the BodyFrameReference and listening for new frames

- GetAndRefreshBodyData

- Loop thru each Body, and check if it is Tracked

- if so I get the body.HandRightState and body.HandLeftState

The only states that are recognized are "Unknown" and "NotTracked. "Open, Closed and Lasso" are never recognized.

• Edited by John Sen Monday, March 30, 2015 10:40 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2015 10:36 PM
  • Hand states work but it isn't stateful between frames. That means if there is a lot of noise/interference or a lot of occlusion around the hands, this will flicker on/off and you have to implement a filter. Handstate will improve when sensor setup is optimal(6 feet from the floor, tilted down with unobstructed view of the floor). If you have 6 people standing in-front of the sensor, do you see any flicker on the hands for 2 of the people?

Additionally, to ensure hand states are tracked for the user, set the tracking id for that active user.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 5:42 PM
  • I have fixed my issue with version v2.0_1409 of the SDK .

The issue was due to the graphics card driver. I uninstalled the OEM driver and downloaded the professional driver from the manufacturer website (NVIDIA). Now HandState is working. Make sure your driver is up to date and that you have the driver from the manufacturer instead of the standard one installed by Windows.

Thursday, April 2, 2015 4:31 PM