none
RemoteApp hangs forever for RDS on Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter network via Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi RemoteApp experts,

I setup in Azure using Infrastructure a windows server 2012 R2 network for Remote Desktop Serviecs. 

• Domain controller
    • Web and Gatway server
    • Application Host
    • SQL Server

I used the domain cloud.x.com which I now realise was a bad thing to do. Why because our on premise network has the domain controller office.x.com and also in the network is another old domain controller x.com. I think this is a problem because for some users on the domain when they try to run a RemoteApp from the RDWeb page it presents the RemoteApp > Starting > OurApplication. The Show Details dropdown is greyed out and stays greyed out forever. For 90% of the users its all fine. But for 10% it just hangs there forever and wont become black and do the profile logging on and what not.

All the machines have the latest windows updates applied. WannaCry and what not ensured that.

If the same user tries to logon to the RDWeb on a machine that works for others, it works for them. So its something specific to the user. Our subcontractor IT say:

All I can determine is that when using AD and DNS from within the network and also on the VPN the RDP client hangs. I have exhausted Google and many $MS website looking for answers. My only option is to do a work around and install some forwarding DNS servers internally for clients experiencing issues at this time. By default I will set these clients to have a different internal DNS server when connecting to the VPN and when on the network.

I also searched and serched but couldn't find anything. Please note that they could use it for a whlie but then something got udpated and broke it for only those few users. I suspected Kaspersky and Windows Defender but uninstalling / disabling them did not allow the user to connect.

I am just using a self signed certificate that I get all the users to install into the Trrusted Root Certification Authorities folder. I use a network security group to restict the IPs the users can be on to access the network.

Any help or suggestions would be great. I have to run seperate RDP servers to allow those users into the network which they can connect to without issue. So its something specific to the authentication or other when using the RemoteApp.

At wits end Dan.

Dan.

Friday, October 13, 2017 2:22 AM

Answers

• The answer to this issue is to ensure that the certificate is localed in LOCAL MACHINE and not just the current user. I don't understand why that works but it does. If someone can explain that would help me understand.

Dan.

• Marked as answer by DanielBrown Thursday, October 19, 2017 1:08 AM
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 1:08 AM

All replies

• Sorry couldn't find out how to move this to "Windows Server  >  Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services)". I couldn't see that option when making this issue.

Dan.

Friday, October 13, 2017 2:37 AM
  • The answer to this issue is to ensure that the certificate is localed in LOCAL MACHINE and not just the current user. I don't understand why that works but it does. If someone can explain that would help me understand.

Dan.

• Marked as answer by DanielBrown Thursday, October 19, 2017 1:08 AM
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 1:08 AM