The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Web Browser Control Functioning Differently in Windows Phone 7 and 8 RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a mobile application where users can launch a website in the Web Browser control and play a game of Risk. However, this doesn't really work on Windows Phone 8.

I have an identical app developed for Windows Phone 7 and usable on Windows Phone 8. The code is the exact same, however, when I run the app under Windows Phone 7 I get a different response from Windows Phone 8. The difference is that on Windows Phone 8, all drop down menus in the Web Browser Control specifically those using the <Option> tag do not work. They simply highlight the option and provide no further options. The same code, on Windows Phone 7 functions properly bringing up the full screen selector.

I have tested this on Windows Phone 7 using a Lumia 900 and Focus Flash and on Windows Phone 8 using a Lumia 920.

The app is currently on the store and you can see the issue in it here.

Does anyone know what might be causing this difference in function? The website does function normally under Internet Explorer on Windows Phone 8 (and 7).

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 4:32 AM

Answers

• I downloaded your game but can't figure out where I'm supposed to see the problem.

Also, I created a very simple app with nothing but a webbrowser control that points to a locally hsted webpage with the select/option control, and I cannot reproduce the issue.  Can you please provide more details on how I can reproduce the problem?  Also, can you give me the html that does not appear to be working?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, July 1, 2013 9:02 PM

All replies

• If you bump this question on Monday, I'll check our bug db to see if there's any know issues with this.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:12 AM
  • Ok, thanks.

My code for the Web Browser is just:

<WebBrowser IsScriptEnabled="true"/>

Monday, July 1, 2013 3:09 PM
  • I downloaded your game but can't figure out where I'm supposed to see the problem.

Also, I created a very simple app with nothing but a webbrowser control that points to a locally hsted webpage with the select/option control, and I cannot reproduce the issue.  Can you please provide more details on how I can reproduce the problem?  Also, can you give me the html that does not appear to be working?

Monday, July 1, 2013 9:02 PM
  • Hi, I've been working with the developer of the website which was causing the problem and it seems that the issue was related to something on their end. At the very least the problem seems to have resolved itself after June 28th. Still not entirely sure what was causing it, but it doesn't look like it was an error on my side or Microsoft's.

I really appreciate the help,
    Runewake2

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:57 PM