Small Basic on an iPad RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Smallbasic for our Intro to Programming course for more than a decade.

It is proving a challenge for distance learning. A number of my students do not have a Windows PC to install Smallbasic on. No problem, I thought, they can simply use the web version.

Problem.

Smallbasic does not seem to load into any of the browsers on the iPad.

Does anyone have a solution for this one. Something that will let Smallbasic online to work on Safari, Firefox, or Chrome in IOS?

Help!

Monday, March 23, 2020 11:56 PM
    Answerer

Answers

• As far as I know, The ways for running Small Basic on iPad is

• Remote Desktop (Requires Windows 10 Pro or above)
    • MS Edge Browser (Not sure why it isn't working for you but it works for me. My iPad Pro 2018 runs iPadOS 13.1 and my MS Edge version is 42.1.2). What is your OS version, Edge version and your iPad version?
    • Desktop Browser (Available on App Store) is a way to view desktop version of every website on your iPad

PS: When my iPad was running iOS 12, I had a loading screen problem but after upgrading to iPadOS problems solved :) 

I can assure you that if MS Edge didn't work for you, Desktop Browser will solve your problem.

Note:  It will take a very long loading time (took around 2-3 mins for me)

A student who wants to help! - Roshan

Saturday, March 28, 2020 12:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Coding Cat,

Nice to know that you have been using Small Basic as the intro programming language. Where I am, Small Basic is not popular.

Back to your question. I suggest you take a look at this article: Does online SB work on ipads?

Roshan Kumar said that Small Basic Online works on the iOS version of the Microsoft Edge browser.

Note: Edge browser need Higher version of iOS.

Best Wishes.

Tuesday, March 24, 2020 3:26 AM
  • <sigh>

I had my hopes up there for a moment.

</sigh>

No, the web version of SmallBasic does not work on the iPad (iOS 13.4) and the latest version of Edge browser.

Tuesday, March 24, 2020 8:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello Coding Cat,

So... I can't help you now. 

You are not the first person to encounter this problem.

Seriously, Small Basic needs to be able to run on iOS. But this may have great technical difficulties or not be realized at all.

Looking forward to the iOS version!

Best Wishes.

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 12:57 AM
  • While I would happily murder a puppy to get a version of Smallbasic that worked in iOS right now, I can't fault MS too much on this one. While it sucks that it won't run in a mobile enviroment right now, the current version is far more useful than the previous Siliverlight only version.
    Wednesday, March 25, 2020 1:18 AM
    Answerer
  • Yes. But we all want it to be better, right?

Best Regards.

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 2:50 AM
  • As far as I know, The ways for running Small Basic on iPad is

• Remote Desktop (Requires Windows 10 Pro or above)
    • MS Edge Browser (Not sure why it isn't working for you but it works for me. My iPad Pro 2018 runs iPadOS 13.1 and my MS Edge version is 42.1.2). What is your OS version, Edge version and your iPad version?
    • Desktop Browser (Available on App Store) is a way to view desktop version of every website on your iPad

PS: When my iPad was running iOS 12, I had a loading screen problem but after upgrading to iPadOS problems solved :) 

I can assure you that if MS Edge didn't work for you, Desktop Browser will solve your problem.

Note:  It will take a very long loading time (took around 2-3 mins for me)

A student who wants to help! - Roshan

Saturday, March 28, 2020 12:55 PM